Chapter 3: Responsibilities

"I demand a duel for honor" said the crossbreed authoritatively.

"What!?" Shouted Quirrel.

"!!!" Hollow also seemed upset.

The two took the queen and separated her a moment from the meeting, to the dissatisfaction of the mantis, who at each moment felt more contempt for this queen who allowed herself to be handled so easily. They were not even close to imagining the delicate condition she was in.

"Hornet you can't do that!" The pill bug whispered altered. "Remember what the midwife said"

"I know what she said, I was there."

".........!" Hollow expressed his point of view with that silent communication that only Hornet, his siblings and partially Quirrel could understand.

"I feel good, I can do it."

"But you won't be able to fight with your maximum potential. They will beat you"

"I'll be fine"

".........!"

"What do you suggest we do genius?"

"Perhaps there is some way to fix this peacefully?"

"Quirrel," she sighed tired. "Not even you think that's possible"

"But I don't want something bad to happen to you."

"And I don't want anything bad to happen to you, nor to any of the members of my people. But we are in numerical and terrain disadvantage, if we all get into a fight we will most likely lose, and more than one would end up dying. On the other hand, duels for honor are rarely to the death, the loser must simply recognize that the winner is right"

"......... "Hollow looked upset.

"Under normal circumstances my defeat would question my leadership, but there is no other spider in the kingdom that can dispute my throne, so there should be no problems."

"But your people could lose confidence in you and that would make your reign difficult." Quirrel looked extremely worried.

"Well, I'll make them trust me again. I don't care, my priority is to protect my people. This was the best solution that occurred to me, now if any of you have a better suggestion, I am all ears" They both looked at each other without saying a word, none knew what else to do. "I though so. We have no other option. Anyway, Quirrel" She stared at the pill bug that looked at her scared. "If I lose, I want you to escape as fast as you can. My defeat means that they would be right and in their eyes you would have the status of inferior creature. If they decide to kill you I won't be able to do anything, or even complain about it"

"But...."

"Stay close to the exit." That were the last instructions of the crossbreed before heading to the Lord Mantis.

She stood in front of the ladies and looked at them proudly, just as a queen should be. Even when they were on the heights of their thrones and their sizes were much higher than hers, Hornet was not intimidated, at least this made the mantis devote her a minimum of respect.

"Did they give you permission to fight?" Lily tried to provoke the queen.

"A queen does not need to ask for authorization to defend her honor." The spider took out her needle getting ready for combat.

"We were just discussing the best battle strategy." Quirrel appeared next to Hornet with his sting prepared for combat.

"Quirrel..." Hornet tried to hide the best possible her surprise. And before her confusion made her commit any indiscretion, the pill bug resumed the word.