Chapter 31: A new way of living

"No Hornet! You can't be serious! I won't allow it!"

"And what do you suggest we do? There is no better solution than this!"

Fury was felt in the air, spider and pill bug were doing their best to be victorious in the argument they were having. It was no wonder, an issue as important as childcare required the best decisions to ensure their well-being. Each of them had their own point of view on the matter and it was proving very difficult to reach an agreement.

"I'll take care of the children if necessary, but for no reason will I let Ania take care of them."

"Quirrel please! How do you plan to do that without neglecting your work in the archives? Or your work as a teacher for young students? It is true that you have a couple of apprentices but you must be there to guide them. It's not all day either, just a little bit in the afternoon. Look, I understand you, I also do not like leaving children with someone else, if it were up to me I would leave my position as queen and dedicate myself completely to their care, but I cannot, the well-being of many people depends on me. So please understand." She took her husband's hands with conciliatory intentions. "Ania will take good care of them."

"Does it have to be Ania?"

Hornet sighed before answering.

"Who else is trusted to take care of them? At least Silky is a political target and we cannot leave her in the hands of just anyone."

"And is Ania trustworthy?" He jerked his hand away from Hornet's grasp.

"Quirrel... Please don't start with that again, just because you don't like Ania doesn't mean she's a bad person."

"It doesn't mean she's a good person either. Have you not noticed her attitudes? The way she looks at Ren? The way she looks at me? Why do you believe so blindly in her?

"I haven't seen anything what you say, besides, unlike a certain person, she has never disappointed me."

Several seconds of silence followed this statement.

"Hornet... will you never forget it?"

"I wish I could," she took a deep breath. "You lied to me. You had promised that you would no longer go on a trip, that you would stay by my side to share a quiet life with me, I was counting on it and one day out of nowhere, you left."

"I had a promise to keep, I needed to make that last trip."

"And that's why you broke the promise you had with me, the person who was willing to be your family? The worst thing is that you left me in one of the worst moments, I had just discovered that the weavers were not extinct, I was still adjusting to the life as a queen, I still did not earn the respect and approval of everyone! You left me when I needed you!"

Quirrel had no way to reply and looked down, letting guilt once again consume him. Hornet, for her part, was breathing heavily and let a few moments pass before she spoke again.

"Your absence hurt like a needle in my heart, I was devasted, but I could not show weakness to my people, no one should know how much I cried when I was alone, it was my secret and she was the one who discovered it. But far from judging me, Ania understood me, she was there for me giving me unconditional support, helping me to stand up to continue fighting for my kingdom. She even helped me to ward off the annoying noble weavers who only wanted to be with me to moving up the social ladder. That's why I trust her! Maybe... even more than you."

These last words hurt Quirrel a lot, it was an issue that had already been overcome in their relationship, but he was clear that although women could forgive, they would never forget.