Twenty-Three

Charlee had been blaming herself for what had happened. And how Kenzie had gone. She knew it was her fault after what had happened with Warren. Her sister had left to keep her safe.

That morning, Charlee woke to Sami bringing her in some food. He smiled. "I know you're upset. But Kenzie chose to do this. She chose to leave."

"I know. But we caused it. We set Warren up. She found out. And then she left to keep him away from us."

"And we're grateful to her for that."

"I miss my sister though. And I bet my family are going to turn on me for her leaving."

Sami took her hand. "Whatever happens, you've got me. I promise. I love you and I won't let you get hurt anymore."

"I love you too."

***
Charlee went out into the village. She saw Warren as he stormed towards her. "Where the hell is she?"

"Who?"

Warren rolled his eyes. "The queen. Kenzie. Where is she?" he spat as he looked to her.

Charlee shrugged. "I don't know. She's not talking to me. You made sure of that," she told him as she tilted her head.

Warren scoffed and looked to her. "You're ridiculous. I know you know where she is. So tell me."

"Don't talk to me like that. I don't know. I thought she was with you."

Warren frowned. "No. I haven't seen her since last night. When you were last with her. So what? You and lover lawyer got her arrested?" He said.

Charlee rolled her eyes. She looked at him. "She hasn't killed anyone."

"Neither have I. And yet I ended up in jail. If I find out you know where she is, I'll kill you," Warren said as he walked off.

Charlee scoffed. She knew Warren and she knew he would make good on his threat. Which worried her.

***
Charlee went into town. She had gone to meet Kenzie. Kenzie smiled. "Hey. How are you?"

"I'd be even better if Warren wasn't threatening to kill me," Charlee said.

Kenzie frowned. "What do you mean? He's threatened to kill you?"

Charlee nodded and sighed. "Yeah. He thinks I know where you are. And I do. But he said if he finds out that I do know, he will kill me," she mumbled.

Kenzie shook her head. "No. I'm not having that. I'm going to make him come after me. Okay?"

"That's putting you in danger."

"I don't care. He won't find me. Because I'll keep moving. Okay? He will come after me. And then you'll be safe," Kenzie told her as she looked to her sister.

Charlee didn't want her sister putting herself in more danger. "Maybe Sami should just tell the police he was the one who killed dad. Then you can come back."

Kenzie shook her head. "No. We're not going to do that."

"It will make it easier."

"Oh stop it. I'm doing this for you. So you can keep your happy ever after. Okay?"

Charlee nodded. But she couldn't help but feel guilty about all of this.

***
Sami pulled charlee into his bedroom. He smiled. "I love you. You know that right?" He said.

"I know. I love you too."

The two of them kissed passionately. Unaware of how Warren was going to come between them. Once and for all.