Episode 2 - The beginning of the zombie apocalypse Part 2

Namra looked with a sad expression at her close friend, who was silently crying for the fear of losing her childhood friend. Trying to make her close friend feel at ease, the class president sneaked a peek through the small window on the wooden door to look for Suhyeok. Completely aware that Areum has developed feelings toward Suhyeok for as long as she had known the class vice president.

Unable to see his appearance, Namra went to comfort Areum by giving the black-haired girl a hug. Sobbed could be heard through Namra’s ears as Areum tightened her hold around the class president, afraid of losing her as well after losing Suhyeok. After some time, Areum was able to calm down with the help from her close friend. Her cousin, Wujin, also checked on her as he was worried about her state.

“It’s okay, Areum-ah. I’m sure he’s still alive. You know him really well. He can fight any zombies coming his way.” Namra comforted her friend as they were sitting on the chairs near the door. 

“That stubborn, idiotic, reckless boy. Always put others before himself.” Areum muttered to herself as she wiped her tears. Namra chuckled at her small talk. Suddenly, the school PA system made a different frequency noises, which grabbed the attention of the survival students.

“Students and teachers of Hyosan High School. I’m Park Sunhwa, the English teacher.” The students heard their English teacher’s voice over the PA system. 

“Something strange is happening throughout the school. Some students are attacking people indiscriminately, so please find a safe place and take shelter. And if any student or faculty hears this and is able, please call the police and the fire department. Students, hide somewhere safe until help arrives. If you can get out of the school, please get out. I repeat once again. Some students are…” Areum noticed Ms. Park's voice started to quiver, causing the black-haired girl to hold her tears as she heard her teacher breathing heavily.

“Kids, you guys are okay, right? You’re not hurt, right? I don’t know what’s going on or why this is happening. Still, find a safe place and hide.” Ms. Park paused, taking a breath as she sniffed her cry. 

“I’m sorry I can’t be of any help. Don’t get hurt, okay? Let’s stay alive and meet again. Okay?” Ms. Park claimed, causing a single tear dropped from Areum’s eyes. 

***********

Sitting on the floor  in between Namra and Daesu, Areum was aimlessly looking around for something interesting in the science lab while hearing the chattering of her cousin and his best friend.  Completely bored with the situation, Areum had laid her head on Namra’s shoulder, seeing the cold exterior girl does not mind her doing it and resting her eyes for a bit while playing with the small rose pendant necklace that she hid under her school cardigan.

“No, I wasn’t bit. Really.” Hearing Isak’s voice, Areum lifted her head off Namra’s shoulder and looked at the girl, seeing her wiping the blood under her nose. “I mean it. I really wasn’t.” 

“She was bit.” Wujin told Daesu after waking him up. Hearing the commotion near the window, Nayeon lifted her head and looked at the pair, alarmed when she saw Isak was bleeding under her nose.

“Were you bit?” Nayeon asked as she stood up from the stool. The others also joined her action as they began to stand up from the floor.

“No, I wasn’t.” Isak defended herself. The girl then ran to the sink at the back of the science lab and looked at herself in the mirror, seeing her eyes turn into bloodshots. 

“Hey. You’re okay, right?” Gyeongsu approached the girl while Areum, Namra, Wujin and Daesu looked at the hallway window when they heard the loud snarling coming from the zombies. Isak then turned her focus to her best and called her name.