Episode 4 - The night during the zombie apocalypse

After their English teacher left the broadcasting room, every surviving student was silent as they took a seat in the room. Areum was sitting on the wheelchair beside Hyeryeong as she was playing with the rose pendant of her necklace.

In front of her, Suhyeok was leaning his body against the mixer console counter, both hands in his pockets as he smiled when he spotted Areum was playing with the necklace he had given her for her 16th birthday.

“I didn’t hear anything at all. I just couldn’t hear anything.” Cheongsan mentioned as he was sitting near the window. 

“Like what?” Suhyeok asked, averting his gaze from the beauty to his friend.

“After Nayeon went out and Ms. Park went out after her. I didn’t hear anything after that.” Cheongsan explained.

“You mean, screaming?” Suhyeok questioned.

“Yeah.” Cheongsan hummed.

“Maybe they didn’t die, then.” Daesu implied. “They wouldn’t have been quiet if zombies were biting them. They must be alive.”

“Maybe you’re right, Daesu. Perhaps they’re still alive and hiding somewhere.” Areum agreed as she was still playing with her necklace’s pendant when no one responded to his statement.

“Why won’t the rest of you respond? No one answers me except for Areum. Only she listened to me.” Daesu uttered as he sulked on his seat.

“I think you’re right.” Onjo stated, making the plump boy stare at her.

“Forget it.” Daesu sulked.

“I didn’t hear anything, either.” The white hoodie girl said.

“Me either. I was scared because I didn’t know how I’d feel if I heard them screaming, but I didn’t hear anything.” Hyeryeong informed her friends.

Sitting beside the short haired girl, Areum caught the sight of Suhyeok uneasiness as he move his head upward to the ceiling. The black haired girl curiously wondered what had caused him to act like that.

“Come to think of it, neither did I.” Joonyeong uttered.

“Then, I’m right. They’re alive, right?” Daesu inquired as Joonyeong nodded his head in agreement.

“Should she be alive?” Jimin said with hatred lace in her voice, making all of her friends glanced at the girl.

“What do you mean?” The genius boy asked, not fully understanding what she was talking about.

“She’s a murderer. She killed Gyeongsu and walked out of here on her own. Is it even right for her to be alive? Aren’t you all being fake?” Jimin explained, looking for her friends’ support.

“What about Ms. Park?” Wujin mentioned, staring at the girl. “Should she have died too?”

“Is that our fault?” Jimin remarked.

“Either way, we’re responsible for what happened.” Wujin claimed.

“Why is that? What did we do wrong? Nayeon killed someone, then played as the victim and chose to leave on her own…” Jimin paused as she stared at Wujin, trying to explain her point of view. “Because we didn’t listen to her. If no one’s on your side, is it okay to kill someone?”

“Ms. Park acted like we were wrong. We didn’t tell Nayeon to go out there. We also didn’t tell Ms. Park to go out there, either. Why should we feel bad?” Jimin continued.

“Because we’re human beings. It’s only natural for us to feel empathy toward one another. Just like how we feel bad for letting Ms. Park, even Nayeon, leave the room.” Areum revealed, no longer playing with her necklace’s pendant as she blankly stared something in front of her. “I don’t know about you but I felt bad for letting them leave the room. We should’ve stuck together in this kind of situation but instead we fell apart.”