02 - hughes

Mila's PovNext day

Mila's Pov
Next day
...........

"Atomic number of Silicon?" My hand shoots up first with his following a couple seconds later. "Ms Violet."

Ha, loser. "FOURTEEN. It's fourteen" Mr Williams sighs and nods. "Yes Emilia, you don't have to shout." Whatever.

"Atomic number of Fluorine, Crawford?" Carter grins at me. "Nine." I glare back at him and he just smiles smugly to himself.

"Correct." Mr Williams looks in Between Us. "The two of you, up here now. Let's settle this." What is he gonna make us do?

"Stand like this please." Carter and I follow his orders, standing with my back to his. He's taller than me, not that much taller. But still tall. I'm at least 5'9 and then Carters probably... 6'2. Maybe?

His body is warm against my school shirt, making me slightly shift uncomfortably. "Okay. This is a quick round, whoever messes up first, loses. Ready?" The class groans, knowing that this will be chaos. I feel Carter nod and I do the same, awaiting our first question. "Amount of Neutrons in Lead?"

It's silent for three seconds before we both shout out at the same time. "ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SIX." The teacher runs a hand across his forehead in utter stress. "Seriously you guys, I'm right here. We can all hear you." I scoff, crossing my arms under my chest.

"Tantalum?" He questions. "ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT." We shout back in sync. "Neon...?"

"TEN." The class seems less than pleased at Carter and I's little spat. "Beryllium..." Mr Williams asks as my brain completely forgets.

"Uhm. Oh wait uhm." I turn to face him and he spins around as well, looking down at me with hazel eyes... correction. Winning hazel eyes.

"Five. The neutrons in Beryllium is five." He responds as I roll my eyes, since now he has winning and bragging privileges.

"Oh whatever. I should have won anyway. You won out of luck." Carter looks truly offended. "I did not win out of pure luck. You just suck at science!" Asshole.

"I'm better than you!" I shout back and Mr Williams steps in Between Us. "Both of you, take a walk. Outside."

We look at each other, narrowed eyes and judging stares. I look away first this time, grabbing my bag off the back of my chair and he does the same, following me out into the hallway.

We walk alongside each other through the halls, while I completely ignore his 'not so secret' glances at me. Once we reach the main entrance, the schools golden retriever stops at our feet.