03 | ❝ AUDACITY ❞ ✨ ೃ༄

"the audacity of this bit-"

Takes place in chapter 5-6

'he's moving faster than I thought' Y/n frowned in her room, she had spent a few days lurking about, near the office of the emperor and his retainers, getting some rather juicy and frustrating information

It was to her advantage that she did not share her enhanced hearing to anyone, even to Navier and Kosair.

She stared at her familiar, a sparrow who was a bit larger than the rest but otherwise nothing special.

"Rude."

Except that he had the ability to talk, due to her magic, and apparently she was saying her thoughts out loud.

She laughed "when I say nothing special is that you are inconspicuous" she muttered low enough for the bird to hear, she could never be too cautious "it'd be much more suspicious if I keep sending letters out by bird messengers and the thought of you getting shoot down with an arrow pains me."

"Heh even if they did, they'd be struck with lightning due to your protective charm." The bird answered, proud of his master.

"Yes, yes but I do prefer nobody finds out about my full capabilities" the blonde haired woman said leaning on her chair, the sparrow had perched itself at the window "it'll be much easier to fool them that way."

"Be safe, Chunchun."

"Stop calling me that!" The bird scoffed as he flew off, soaring in the clear blue skies.

Despite the perfect weather, most of the servants and the people in the palace were either tense or full on gossiping.

There was a knock on her door as Y/n closed her eyes. "Come in Laura!" Her voice was bubbly as she quickly stood up to shut the windows just in time to find the orange haired lady-in-waiting walk in.

There was a furious look in her eyes "y/n I want you to tell me the truth regarding the newest rumors!"

Laura knew full well that Y/n was more updated, more informed than her or anyone she knew. Y/n tilted her head, acting innocent "which specific rumor?"

"Is it true? That his majesty is appointing that girl as her mistress!?"

"Now now Laura, keep your voice down and control that tone. That man will use any chance to throw you out." Y/n warned causing the young noblewoman to flinch as she turned towards the door to find it close, her brows furrowed she didn't remember closing it but maybe it was due to her raging emotions that she perhaps didn't may more attention to her surroundings.

"I-"

Y/n playfully place a finger to her mouth, gesturing once again to lower her volume more. "Now regarding the rumors" y/n hummed taking a step back "it hasn't been officially announced but he plans to do so as soon as possible. Before the new year's ceremony."