vii

• third person •

Wincing, Aila pushed herself up, shoving the necklace beneath her. She hid her face in her hands.

"Luckily, it was just your side. You were cut, but weren't stabbed. I tried to stop the bleeding as much as I could."

Aila remained silent, averting her gaze. Her hair was out, covering her face as head hung down quietly.

"Miss... Aila..?"

"What is it?"

The brittle sound of her voice was like shards of ice in a winter storm, threatening to lacerate anyone in their way. Her butler gulped.

"You... have... light bruises on your neck."

"And?" Aila's head shot up. Her pupils pierced through her butler. "And what if I do? Will you tell them that as well?!"

Bai fell silent. Her gaze fell.

Aila blinked in realisation of her words.

"I... apologise," she muttered. "Thank you for treating me..."

Aila shuffled off her bed, biting her lip to ease the pain as she bent down, picking up a sack of violetgrass.

"Leave me be. I have work to do."

"You should take it ea–"

Unconsciously, Aila glared at her butler.

"Leave."

Bai stumbled to her feet, nodding rapidly, before doing so.

Aila heaved a sigh from her chest. I need to somehow get into a better mood before I see Klee again today...

"Aila! You've returned? Klee's really been missing you!"

Aila nodded, pulling a few things out of her pocket. "Sorry, may I use the crafting table?"

The green-haired woman before her blinked. "Yes, go ahead! How was your journey?"

Aila's lips pursed.

"Oh, Barbatos, it's that Lawrence."

"Why doesn't she just stay in that mansion of hers? We already have to deal with her sister they let loose."

"Archons know why Master Jean's letting her take care of Klee. Who knows what a Lawrence might do to her! Poor kid."

Sucrose patted Aila's shoulder. Aila glanced at her friend. "D-don't listen to them."

Soft winds of Mondstadt whistled through the air, the centre of the town bustling with people in the early afternoon. A gentle sunshine shone upon them, as Aila began to deal with the various ingredients before her.

A bittersweet but reassuring smile spread across Aila's lips. "It's nothing I'm not used to. Thank you for your concern, Sucrose. My journey was fine, thank you."

Sucrose blinked. Aila had gulped down the potion she had effortlessly made in one go.

She smacked her lips. "Sweet."

"You should be more caref–"

"Sh."

Sucrose stumbled back as Aila's index finger hovered before her open mouth.