xvii

• third person •

Diluc's eyes darkened. Aila couldn't react in time when he stormed towards the door.

Without warning, he grabbed the little girl's wrist, yanking her into the room, instantly shoving the door shut behind her. Klee yelped aloud.

"How much did you hear? How much did you see?!"

Aila grabbed his arm, pulling him back.

"You're scaring her, Diluc..."

Diluc's eyes widened. Abruptly, he released the small Klee, stepping back.

"Sorry," he whispered.

Klee only had a permanent frown on her lips, tears threatening to well in her big eyes. "I-is-"

"Is Miss Aila really gonna leave for Fontaine..?"

Aila's heart dropped. Diluc's head snapped towards her.

"What?!"

"It was just a threat," Aila reassured him. "Klee, you shouldn't eavesdrop on adult conversations."

"Oh, I really need to kill him," Diluc muttered beneath his breath.

Aila gave him the side-eye, before approaching the young girl, carefully picking her up. Klee clutched onto her tightly, her eyes clamping shut.

"Klee is sorry," she cried. "Klee's just really worried about you, Miss Aila... Sorry, Miss Aila..."

Delicately, Aila rubbed her back, shushing her softly, rocking her back and forth. "It's okay, Klee, shh..." She met gazes with Diluc. "I need to head back."

He pursed his lips.

"You can cross his name off," she murmured, "but not yet. I'll tell you when it's time, okay? Don't get hasty, Master Diluc."

Her eyebrows furrowed. "If he really is our suspect, it'll be better to question him before you really do..."

Kill him, she mouthed.

Aila walked towards the door, carrying Klee with her.

"There's a meeting straight after the banquet. We can tell everyone everything then. For now, focus on being the host. I apologise for making such a scene."

"I would be grateful if you could inform Elzer to keep a close eye. I don't want you to be distracted tonight like I've made you already."

Diluc was silent, averting his gaze.

"Alright," was all he said.

And with that, Aila left the room, Klee still clutching tightly onto her in her arms.

"Did you want to eat, Klee?" Klee nodded. Aila gave her a gentle smile. "Let's go get some food."

Diluc left the room also, closing it behind him, watching silently as she went back downstairs with Klee, talking softly with her in order to get her mind on something else.

"Master Diluc."

Diluc turned, his eyebrows raising.

"Adelinde," he whispered.

The head housemaid tilted her head, folding her arms.

"So you know who it is now?"

Diluc sighed, leaning over the railing for a moment, watching over the guests with sharpened eyes.

"Ignace Noyer." He pointed subtly at him on the ground floor, talking casually to a few other guests while Aila and Klee attempted to sneak past his gaze towards the food. "Not only is he Aila's potential fiancé, but I also have a strong feeling he has something to do with Daiyu."