xviii

• third person •

"Good morning! You're here early today! Wanna go get breakfast together? Or didya eat without me?"

The blue-haired woman was sat silently at her desk, almost manically scribbling on a scrap piece of paper, her eyes wide, the pen almost scraping through the paper itself.

"Eula?" Amber tilted her head. "You okay?"

The young outrider hurriedly closed the door to Eula's office, rushing over towards the desk. She grabbed the pen in Eula's hand, causing her to finally look up at her.

"Amber..?" she whispered.

"Y-Yeah?" A nervous smile spread across her lips. "Are you okay?" she repeated.

A somewhat relieved look flashed through Eula's eyes at the sight of her. She gestured for her to come over.

Amber blushed in surprise when Eula pulled her into her lap.

"O-oh! U-um..." Amber averted her gaze, her face red as she held her knees. "Hehe."

Amber only became increasingly shyer as Eula pulled her in, making their foreheads touch. Eula's eyes fluttered shut.

Amber blinked, her gaze falling.

"I'm just worried about my sister, that's all," Eula whispered. "She has gone through so much. I'm scared I'll fail as a sister again."

"Oh, Aila?" Eula nodded. "I don't think you've ever failed as a sister. If you failed, then she'd hate you, wouldn't she? I saw you guys last night; she looked so happy talking to you!"

Eula's lips curved downwards. "That's only because she was already happy..."

"Then surely if she hated you she'd become upset talking to you! But she doesn't. I bet she really loves you, Eula."

Eula didn't say anything. Her frown remained.

Amber's nose gently pressed against hers.

"Are you really worried?" Amber asked quietly.

Eula simply nodded.

"Why don't you go check on her? Do you know where she is?"

"My parents' house," she whispered. "I... can't go back there. She promised she'd tell me if something happened, but why am I waiting until something happens? Why can't I stop something from happening before it does?"

Eula's hands trembled, her voice shaking.

"I'm terrified, Amber. I'm terrified for her. But I'm also terrified of our parents. I can't do anything, even though I know I should."

Amber reached up, gently wiping away Eula's welling tears.

"You know, Aila's really strong," she spoke softly. "Even if... you weren't there when she wanted you there... now she knows that you are there for her. Knowing that will make her feel much, much stronger! Whatever she goes through now, she knows she can put her trust into you to help her deal with it all. She knows she's not alone now. That alone gives so much strength."

"If something does happen to her, I'm sure now she'll be able to fight through it! With the love of her big sis!"

Eula's eyes widened for a moment as Amber began to punch the air, before, eventually, she broke out into the cutest giggle. Amber's gaze softened, a big smile on her lips at that sound.

"I hope so," Eula whispered. "I'll be here for her, no matter what."

Blood instantly rushed to Eula's pale cheeks when Amber placed a mischievous peck on her lips.