viii

• third person •

They now lay on non-bloody sheets. Diluc's scarlet locks were sprawled upon the pillow as his soft breaths echoed through the room, peacefully fast asleep. Aila's yellowish-purple eyes stared in silence.

Diluc knew she wasn't going to fall asleep again. But he was happy to know that she was going to rest with him, sleeping or not. So he fell asleep.

Aila had promised to stay right next to him until he woke up. So she did.

It had been a few hours now. Evening had settled, the pink glow of the sunset draping delicately upon their figures.

Aila was exhausted when she first returned from Liyue. But now she could do anything but sleep. She didn't even feel the slightest bit tired anymore.

But she was content. She was content in that moment, just watching. Just watching him sleep, his entire body relaxed, his chest slowly rising, then falling, then rising, and so on.

Her fingers twirled around the loose strands of hair framing his face, the warmth of his cheeks gently radiating upon her hands. Her touch was delicate, though she knew Diluc was a deep sleeper, she still was afraid to wake him.

"We should go and see Klee soon."

Aila's body jolted. Her hand shot away.

Diluc's lips broke out into loud laughter.

"Cute," he teased.

Aila's face lit up like a traffic light. "H-How long have you been awake?!"

"Just the past ten minutes. Did you have fun playing with my hair?"

Aila span away. Diluc stared at her back, his shoulders still shaking with laughter.

He leant over her, his gentle gaze falling upon her pouting expression, her eyebrows furrowed with her nose scrunched endearingly.

"Our child is going to be so adorable with a mother like you."

"More like with a baby face like yours."

A breathy chuckle brushed against her ear.

"Come on. Klee will be very excited to see you. I'll try my best not to ruin the mood."

"Don't you have something to say?" Aila folded her arms.

Diluc leant back, laying flat onto the bed. The corners of Aila's lips pricked ever-so-slightly up with a smile.

"I'm sorry for pretending to be asleep. And for scaring you." Diluc sighed playfully. Aila nodded.

"I thought so," she said, unable to keep in her snicker. "Perhaps I forgive you."

His eyebrows jumped slightly as she climbed over him, the tip of her nose unexpectedly bumping against his. He blinked.

A short chortle escaped him. "What, do you want me to beg for your forgiveness?" he questioned with a smirk.

Her eyes narrowed, their lips meeting for just a second. Diluc just about managed to savour it, his smirk unwavering as he was certain of her next words.

"Perhaps I should make you beg in bed."

Aila sat up.

"But first. Klee."

A short breath shot out of Diluc's nose.

"What a cock blocker."

"Do you think she's asleep?"

Aila shook her head. The single key in her hand slipped into the wooden door's lock without a problem. "She's most likely playing. I doubt anyone's in here with her at this time, but her medicine should still be active."