xv

• third person •

"S-Sir... I wasn't aware... that the time was arriving..."

"Don't tell me you have softened up after all of these years. Don't worry, as promised, you will be very strategically hidden after the deed is done. And yes, you will be paid generously for your hard work."

"Who will replace me..?"

"Oh... just an old acquaintance. I'm sure he will be very glad to be back."

"And when should I..."

"Deary, you sound so hesitant. This is nothing like how you used to be. Come on. Surely, it will be a nostalgic feeling to once again experience the thrill you once thoroughly enjoyed."

"...Of course, Sir."

"Once the banquet is over, you should get straight to work. Find the perfect time. When she will have no other choice. And before she can even report you, make me aware that you have done it, and you may leave to where we will guarantee your protection. Don't forget that we have protected you for so long now. This simple task is all we ask of you in return, if your heart really has softened."

"Yes, Sir. Thank you, Sir."

"Well then. You are excused."

The woman nodded politely, before slowly leaving the room.

A shaky breath escaped her lips as the door was pulled shut, her hands stuck in a never-ending tremor.

Though, not a tremor of anxiety.

The dimly lit corridor gleamed with the murky grey skies of the night outside.

The corners of her lips turned up. An unsettlingly slight smile rose upon her angled face.

A tremor of excitement.

• • •

"Adelinde?"

The maid sweeping the floor rapidly popped up her head. Her gaze darted towards the tired man at the table.

"Yes, Master Diluc?" she answered, tilting her head.

Diluc hid his face in his hands, sucking in a large, exhausted breath. His bright red hair had been pulled back into a very messy bun, simply because it was annoying him.

"Have you dealt with them?" he asked quietly.

Adelinde smiled. "Of course. Almost immediately."

Diluc fell silent for a moment. "I see."

The room became quiet. Adelinde blinked.

"Adelinde."

"Hm..?"

The head housemaid noticed the somewhat permanent frown on Diluc's face.

"Am I pathetic?"

The maid stared at him for a little while.

And then, she burst into the most amused of laughters.

Adelinde continued to sweep the wooden floors as a gentle sunlight gleamed in through the large windows of the ground floor of the winery.

"Definitely," she replied.

Diluc scoffed playfully. "Really? Be honest."