iv

• third person •

Aila was asleep.

Diluc could feel her soft hair tickling the back of his neck, her gentle breathing fanning against his skin as she leant on his back, clutching his waist.

She'd tried to stay awake as long as she could, but eventually it became just too difficult. Master Diluc was terribly warm after all.

Wangshu Inn was finally in view now. He could make out that large yellow tree instantly even in the starlit sky.

Abruptly, the white horse beneath them halted. Diluc grabbed onto Aila's hands as they jolted back.

"Fern, what's wrong... Oh."

It seems the road was littered with dancing beings. Hilichurls.

Nothing the former Cavalry Captain couldn't deal with, even from right where he was.

"Fern, stay calm, okay?" He ran his hands across her neck. "You'll need to stay calm for me when I do this."

Fern simply neighed in reply.

"Alright."

Diluc continued to stroke the horse as an orange glow began to emit from his hands. The sudden warmth caused Aila to shuffle, before Diluc raised his hand, so as to not set either Aila or her horse on fire.

Large wings crackled above them, the red and orange flames still not even enough to get the monsters' attention.

Diluc leant forward. A blazing eagle came soaring through the gentle night winds.

Shrieks erupted from the hilichurls, before their bodies fell into nothing but ashes.

Luckily, Fern was trained for these sorts of situations, so she wasn't fazed.

"Diluc..?"

Diluc glanced behind him.

All of a sudden, Aila shot up.

"I fell asleep!"

Diluc blinked for a moment, before, unexpectedly, a soft chuckle escaped his lips.

"It's alright. We've arrived after all."

Blood rushed to Aila's cheeks in embarrassment. Fern had stopped in front of the giant tree. Diluc climbed off, about to hold out his arms, but Aila dismounted it herself, rubbing her tired eyes.

It was most likely long after midnight now. Diluc yawned. In all honesty, he was exhausted too, not just from horse-riding but from everything else too, but someone had to stay awake. He was glad he could rest now at least.

"There's so many steps..." Aila stared, her shoulders drooping as her face filled with dread.

"There's a lift."

"Oh."

Diluc smiled. "Come on."

There was a small stable for travellers to leave their horses and the like when they stayed, accompanied with a worker. Aila quickly said goodnight to Fern, before following Diluc to the lift.

"I'm so glad to be staying away from home for once," she mumbled, ogling in awe at the vast view of Liyue. It was dark yet the shine of the moon upon the water was eminent, the gentle green of the grass and the sway of the trees in the night breeze calming her heart instantly.

"I noticed you're a lot less formal when you're away from there."

"I am?" Aila blinked. "I'm not formal."

"You're very formal." Diluc folded his arms. "We've been friends for years yet you still call me Master Diluc."

Aila's pupils darted away. "Well... we weren't close until recently... I suppose..."