xvi

• third person •

"Bai, can you go and give this letter to Master Jean for me? She would have heard that Klee is with me by now, so she'll be available to read it. Report her answer back to me immediately."

"Yes, Miss Aila."

The young Lawrence passed the folded piece of paper to her butler, dismissing her, before closing the door after she had left.

The little girl holding her hand only ogled around the room in awe.

"Is this your bedroom, Miss Aila? It's soooo big!!!!"

Aila could only let out a soft sigh when Klee released her hand, rushing over to the queen-sized bed, where a sea blue dress lay, along with silver jewellery that managed to even sparkle as the gloomy clouds settled in outside.

"Is this yours, Miss Aila? It's such a pretty dress!!!"

Aila didn't even get a chance to reply. Klee had already ran somewhere else.

"Wooww... are these the potions you make with big brother Albedo? You know, one time I was playing with Albedo and Sucrose, and then Sucrose accidentally made a really big explosion!!!! Klee didn't know you could make explosions with these potions... It was so cool! Miss Aila, can we make big, giant explosions together?! I promise Klee won't make a big disaster!"

Aila stared at Klee in silence.

Klee only smiled innocently.

Aila didn't say a thing, beginning to rummage through her wardrobe.

"Say, Klee," she began, tugging open a drawer, "did you hear about a party at Master Diluc's place today?"

"Party?! Klee wants to come! Klee loovvesss parties!!!"

A soft laugh escaped Aila's lips. "It's a very fancy party. Are you sure? There's going to be lots of scary, mean people..."

The little girl tapped her chin. Aila began to take out piles of clothes from the bottom of her wardrobe, placing them on the floor momentarily.

"But if Miss Aila's going, then Klee will be absolutely fine! Klee trusts Miss Aila lots and lots!"

Aila's face reddened slightly.

Neither of the pair had realised the door had opened again.

Klee blinked blankly at the sound of a creak, before her head raised, her eyes widening.

"Aila," spoke a deep voice.

Aila's face only scrunched. She averted her gaze.

Soon enough, Klee had ran over to her side, hiding slightly behind her kneeling figure and the piles of clothes, peeking out from her shoulder.

"Who's–?"

"Yes, Father?" Aila interrupted Klee.

Her father opened his mouth. Aila interrupted him this time instead.

"This is Spark Knight Klee, of the Knights of Favonius. She has been my patient for the past few weeks. Under my care, she has fully recovered from her illness as of today."

The large man's eyebrows furrowed. Klee couldn't believe this scary-looking man was sweet Miss Aila's father...

"And you have brought her here because? Do you not remember what we talked about this morning?"

Aila looked away. She continued to search through her old clothes.

"Is there a problem?"

Her father's eyes darkened.