xxiv

• third person •

It wasn't long until Aila awoke again.

She let out an exhale, shuffling slightly as her eyes began to open. She blinked, rubbing them for a moment.

Diluc was still asleep.

His crimson strands had fallen over his face, his mouth sealed shut, a gentle flush upon his pale cheeks. His slender fingers were still intertwined within her hair, his breathing so soft and warm against her.

Aila slowly reached forward, delicately brushing the hair away, allowing her to indulge in his beauty in its full essence, as if he were an otherworldly being, an angel sent from above.

Aila pressed her nose against his, her eyes fluttering shut for a sweet moment, inhaling his soft scent and all that he was.

"Are you alright..?" she heard a whisper.

Aila blinked, moving back a bit. By now, she knew that Diluc was an extremely light sleeper.

Aila's gaze fell when his hand slithered around her waist, pulling her back. She blushed in silence.

"Did you just wake up?" Diluc asked with a smile.

Aila nodded. Diluc's expression warmed as she snuggled into him again.

Slowly, Diluc lifted himself up, gradually leaning over her. Aila stared up at him quietly, red deepening through her cheeks as his fingers stroked her pale blue hair.

"How do you feel now?" he questioned softly.

"Much better," Aila mumbled. "Thank you..."

Diluc shook his head, pecking her lips.

And then, he simply stared at her for a while.

"I wonder what colour hair our child would have," he murmured seemingly out of the blue. "Because," his lips brushed upon the top of her head, "your hair is blue, but mine is red. Complete opposites."

A soft giggle escaped Aila. "I would want them to look exactly like you." She shook her head as she spoke, "I don't want them to have anything of the Lawrence's..."

"Hm?" Diluc leant in, the corner of his lips turned upwards. "But I would want them to look like Aila, beautiful inside and out."

Aila pouted. "You can't go a second without flirting."

Diluc burst into laughter, eventually getting off her. He grabbed a bag he had brought upstairs previously, emptying the contents onto the bed. Aila sat up, rubbing her eyes. Diluc heaved a sigh.

"It looks like he just bought whatever he found cute," he stated in exasperation. "Well," Diluc picked up a cute little pink dress, "I'm sure if we have a son he couldn't care less about being dressed like a 'pretty princess'." He read off the words sewn onto the dress.

"Do you want a son..?" Aila asked unexpectedly.

Diluc blinked, raising his head.

Aila's gaze fell.

Diluc shrugged. "I don't mind. Kids are menaces either way."

"What about you?" Diluc smiled.

Aila fiddled with her clothes quietly. She stared at the bed. "I want a girl," she said softly.

Diluc began to fold the clothes, unsurprised by her answer. "I guess it's easier for you to understand girls after all. You've always been with your sister. And she takes great care of you."

Aila pursed her lips. I just don't want a boy...

"You wouldn't mind... having a girl?" she questioned almost beneath her breath.