Chapter 5 [Tough Choices]

Proverbs 19:21

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."

Maleek
———————
Word Count: 2675

"And she actually agreed to it?" I say while pushing a big pile of pages and files away from me and pulling one in front of me. I pick up my pen and push my glasses down to see April's face. I can already tell she's lying and if I'm being honest, i expected more from her at least my co manager would tell me the truth.

"I promise, I'm just as shocked as you sir." She says with an excited smile on her face. The fact she thinks this is funny is mind boggling to me.

"You done now? You finished joking around?" A memory of Aaliyah telling me Ephesians 5:4 jumps into my mind and only distracts me more.

"I've worked for you for years on end, do you really think i would lie about this Mr Davis? even after all i saw you go through with her the last time?" I looked up and searched April's face waiting for her to finally admit that she was just playing around.... i waited... then waited some more.. as her crystal blue eyes looked back at mine with intensity and her black hair sways around her slim face.

"April?" I muttered, now getting annoyed that she is continuing this lie for so long.. "So let me get this straight.." I say while taking off my glasses and folding my hands, intertwining my fingers.

"My ex.. the woman i left with no explanation, who i have been trying to locate and make mine for over a year, just decided that she would change her mind and give me another chance? that's what you want me to believe?" I ask while chuckling a little bit and shaking my head in the process. I turn my head back to my work and pick up my pen again. I can hear her footsteps go to chair in front of me, my office has gotten a lot bigger in this new building. I decided i would finally spoil myself, with all the things i have been through, i thought i may as well give myself one thing i can be happy with.

My new office has a lot of space, i made the table longer and put a lot of extra storage and cupboard in it so that it can look more full. I made the picture of the cross i had, larger and added some bible verses around the room. There's a window behind my chair that gives light into the white painted room. I had a photo of me and ace on the table, A photo of me, Joel and Stephanie at the wedding making funny faces in a black and white Photo Booth and a photo of my mother when she was younger, just to remind me that she will be there for me and that she is here for me in spirit.

April sits on the wheely black leather chair in front of me and tries to get my attention by waving her hand in front of her.

"Okay listen, i know its not my place."

"exactly." I say while starting to write aggressively on the page in front of me, while opening my laptop.

"however, when you are distracted it has a domino effect on the company and therefore it has an effect on me..."

"Watch it April."

"Mr Davis. She accepted it, and as your co manager, my opinions have to be considered in business ideas too. As much as you dont want to admit it, this is a great move for the business, so i suggest you leave your personal life out of this and remember the reason why we are actually here. To make money." She exclaims while crossing her arms in frustration. I sniggered under my breath seeing the tiny woman in front of me get an attitude.

"Besides, aren't you excited to finally get to travel down to Atlanta to see her again? this could be the time you use to get her back then we finally wont have to hear about her ever again."