• CHAPTER 4 •

I wasn't sure how we got to the point for him to stand in front of me, his life on the line. I wasn't sure either how we got to the point that I lose all my patience and pointed a gun to his head. He convinced me that we needed privacy. So, we walked to our room. We walked in and he closed the room behind him. The next thing I know is him sitting on the chair in the corner of my room and I was sitting in bed, with the gun still loaded laid in my hand.

    "Listen," after this word, bullshit always follows, so I made him cut it.

    "You listen, Ace. I am here to know the truth. So just get to the point," my voice was so strong but then cracked when I said, "why did he say that I caused my father's death?"

    "I'm not going to bullshit you," He raised his right arm, "I will tell you everything as promised, I am always and will always be a man of my word," he paused, "but let me remind you that knowing will cost you way more than not knowing."

    "I want to know"

    That was it. That was the last sentence I said before knowing everything. Before seeing everything differently. Before hearing words that kept my body alive but killed me inside. Words that kept me breathing yet breathless.

    "It's all because of the vacation you insisted on going to," when he started explaining, my heart dropped. Maybe he was right when he said that it will hurt me more to know than not, but I'd rather know than stay blinded and live with comments that I didn't understand. His voice was almost unheard and for the first time I finally felt like he was terrified. Not because I was holding a gun to his head but because his words and his explanation will be stronger than the strongest bullet. "At that time, we had a big problem with...uh...you know, some people, and so your dad was supposed to stay here, in this house, where no one knows where he is until we find a solution with them. But one day, he came back home and told us that he tried to tell you that he needed to cancel this trip and you got so sad and so disappointed and he couldn't do that to you."

    His voice was drawing back the flashbacks of me and my father talking. Him asking me if I would mind if he cancelled. My loud voice blaming him for all the time we spend apart because of his job. And my tears as they fall down my cheeks when I told him that I missed him. I remembered that he hugged me and told me that he will make it happen, no matter the consequences. He told me no matter the consequences.

    "We told him that if he needed to go, we could come with you guys, at least we would be there if anything happens, but he said that he didn't want to scare you. He said that he wanted you to have the best time. So, you guys went. We made sure that no one was following you without your father knowing but then we came back. What I guess happened, is that they didn't know where you went and waited for you to be back from the trip. They knew that he will be alone. They knew no one of us will be there."

    My heart dropped.

    I knew then that Romeo was right and knew that if it wasn't for this vacation that I insisted to go on, he would still be alive. I could feel the gulp rise in my throat, but I was paralyzed. I couldn't cry no matter how much I wanted to. My hands were becoming lose and before I could stop it the gun slipped down. But Ace hurried to catch it. It didn't even move me. I didn't care.

    Ace unloaded the gun, placed it on the floor in front of me and sat next to me in bed. "Talia," his voice was soft, softer than it ever was. When I looked at him and my eyes met his, his eyes softened too, "it's not your fault," a tear escaped the corner of my eye and rolled down my cheek. He shook his head, not knowing what to do or what to say to make me feel better. But he was right feeling that way because no matter what he could have done, it wouldn't have helped.