• CHAPTER 21 •

Ace

"Just like I said, Al, you know that I would rather have your boys close to me. I am giving you an opportunity to live in the city instead of this," I waved my hand around at the endless desert and the dark world they live in.

    "Ace," he took a deep breath and looked around at his people, "these are my people. I have to ask them before giving you any word. And I can't give you my word without any guarantee. I will not make them have hope in something that doesn't look real."

    "Since when my word is not an enough promise, Al?" I added.

    "I trust your word. But I am old now and I have my prestige in front of the people I am creating a living for. These people trust me with their lives, I told them once to live in the desert and they followed me, with their people, their families, and their kids. And if I tell them we will move into the city it will be a promise, a sword on my neck. I trust you at work, in the SP dealing, in business but I won't give you my neck if I don't have proof."

    I nodded and looked at the kids playing and the women laughing and thought, how can people live happily in the desert that doesn't provide a home for anything other than vicious animals? And how can all these people follow a word from someone like Al and put their lives in danger for his happiness or even for money?

    "Fine," I looked back at him, "I will come next visit for proof and for a place to show you where all your people will move in."

"Now you get me, Ace." He smiled, showing me his yellow and stone teeth. I smiled back.

"Just do what I say, Joe

"Just do what I say, Joe. Find the owner of the house next door and tell them we don't want the house only, we want the land. Find out what they want in exchange and come tell me. Don't argue or anything, I just want information. And I will do the rest."

He nodded and left the room.

"Ace," Niko entered the office, pointing behind him, "Alfie is here, he said he was called for an appointment or whatever–"

I interrupted him saying, "yes yes, let him come."

"Hey, Ace." He walked in and sat on one of the chairs in front of me. I took a sip of my whiskey glass.

"Whiskey?"

He let out a soft laugh and shook his head, "you make me feel like whiskey is just orange juice for you."

I nodded, "when you get used to something, it doesn't affect you anymore."

I took a glass from the tray next to my desk and filled it with the half empty bottle.

"Yeah, you're right." I placed the glass in front of him.

"What do you want, Alfie? Your meeting was in two days. Why are you here today?"