• CHAPTER 8 •

Talia

I wasn't going to take for granted the good time that I had up the hill a few hours ago with Ace but being back in this bed, alone, under my father's portrait brought me back to the terror I tried to run away from.

I couldn't sleep all night. We went back at home around 5:00 AM and when I decided that I wasn't going to sleep, it was 11:00 AM. Every time I would close my eyes, I would hear something that startles me and gets me wide awake. I didn't feel safe. I felt like any time, someone is going to walk in the room, points a gun to my head and tells me that he is going to kill me because he hated dad.

I huffed and stared at the ceiling that I learned by heart. I didn't want to get out of bed. My body was too exhausted to function. But I didn't stay alone for long. Before I could realize, the door was turned open. I widened my eyes but when they met Ace's, my body relaxed.

"Relax, who would it be?" He smirked, walking closer to the bed.

"Maybe knock next time," I rolled my eyes.

"How do you feel?" He walked passed my bed to the sitting area in front of the windows.

"Miserable. I didn't sleep all night," I sat down in bed, watching his every move. His eyes switched to me.

"Why?"

"Because I feel like abruptly, someone is going to walk in and kill me."

He sighed, as if what I said wasn't what he expected, or wasn't a big deal for him.

"Come," he adjusted himself in the seat, pulling his chain outside of his black crewneck.

I sighed and got up. I sat on the couch in front of him and crossed my arms. He reached in his pocket, taking out something and handed it to me, "I fixed your necklace."

My heart flattered and my eyes sparked. I looked at his hand and took my necklace from his hand, caressing the three letters of my name.

"How is Talia Lia?"

I giggled at his comment and tried to swallow the gulp that locked my throat.

"What do you mean? Talia? Lia?" I closed my palm on the necklace, feeling like my father is giving it to me all over again. His eyes were watching me like an interesting movie as I put my necklace on. I looked down at it then smiled at him, "thank you."

He nodded, closing his eyes, giving me a small smile. He leaned closer to the table, looking up at me, "Talia– what do I keep telling you?"

"Yeah, yeah, okay. I know I shouldn't be scared and that it is hard for someone to get in here. I know. But it's still– hard." I looked up at him.

His eyes were full of words of comfort but I was the only one talking, "I–I feel like someone would walk into the room, any minute, and shoot me like they shot my father."

He blinked.

"Every time I close my eyes, I see his body. I see his gray face. I see his opened eyes and his still body." My heart was aching as these words unconsciously made their way out of my mouth. My eyes were watering but I held my tears prisoners, refusing to let them show my pain even if my mouth gave it away.

"Talia," the softness of his voice travelled from my eyes to my heart, down my spine, bringing comfort to every part of my body. "No one is going to touch you, as long as I am living." His eyes didn't leave mine, "I mean it, Talia. As long as I am alive, no one will be able to hurt you." He repeated the same sentence he tells me everytime and somehow every time he says those words, it feels like a spell travelling down my bones and numbs them.