• CHAPTER 46 •

Ace

"Ace," Talia called.

"Talia," I mumbled.

She was standing at the end of a dark alley and for some reason, I couldn't step closer to her. I was held back in place. She was crying, calling me to help her. A man came from behind the wall and stood behind her, bringing her to her knees.

"Ace!" She screamed.

"Talia."

He looked straight at me and pointed a gun at her head.

"No!" I yelled when he pulled the trigger.

"Ace," she cried.

He shot and I screamed.

"No." I widened my eyes. I fell asleep again for just a couple of minutes, haunted and hunted by this dream. My body was shaking. Somehow, every time I dreamt of this nightmare, my reaction kept getting worst. My heart was racing and my lips were quivering. I sat up, not wanting to fall asleep again. Days passed and I kept feeling like my life had been slowly slipping away from me. I couldn't eat well or sleep well. Everything was dark, useless. I looked next to me and imagined her there. Maybe trying to picture her by my side could help my trembling. I knew she was safe with Joe. I knew he would keep her safe but I couldn't trust him enough to not worry about her. Jealousy and guilt were eating me for days. I knew deep down he loved her but he would never give her what I was able to. I also knew I hurt her, not once but twice. I did two mistakes I could never take back. I didn't try and wasn't planning on doing so.

Maybe she is better off without me.

I got out of the room and walked down to the kitchen. I quickly poured myself a glass of whiskey, wanting to ease my muscles.

"Good morning, man." Niko called, disappointment filling his voice. I understood what he wanted but I ignore him, giving him a small smile before bring the glass to my lips. "People usually eat breakfast first. At least." He shrugged and I stared at him. Silently telling him not to challenge me. Silently telling him that this day was going to be the same as any day that had passed. I would wake up and drink then put all the work weight on Romeo then get out of the house and come back at night.

I chugged the remaining of my drink, placed the cup down and was about to leave but he called my name.

"The woman who cleans is coming today. We need to stay here because you have the key to everything, the lab the–"

Before he could finish, I threw him the keys. He caught them and looked at me as if I grew a second head. He was right. I never gave these keys to anyone.

"I will take them back tonight." My voice was hoarse.

My heart ached, a burning sensation filled my chest as I sat down on the ground. I imagined we were here together, I imagined I could tell her I love her. I imagined that I was smart enough to keep her instead of picture her sit next to me.

I gave him my back, ready to leave the house before he called my name again. Sighing, I turned to meet his eyes.

"If you're hurting that much, why don't you go talk to her?"

"I can't."

"Why? Joe kept saying that he hears her crying. She cried for days."

"I know," I lied. My heart broke at the thought of her crying because of me, hurting because of my stupidity.

"Then why dont't you go talk to her? I know Joe loved her but we all know who she wants." Niko explained and I stayed silent, wanting to say so many things that can't be said. "Ace, go talk to her." He pressured.