• CHAPTER 6 •

Talia

I wasn't sure for how long my eyes stared at the ceiling as they let out tears I couldn't control. But my thoughts were deadly to me. The image I had of my father was ruined. My father was everything to me. I always thought that he was a great person, to be a father and a mother even without telling me about her. I knew he had his reasons, and I knew that she hurt him by the looks on his face every time I asked about her. I always thought he was brave to be able to raise me all on his own. I loved him so much. He was always there for me when I needed him. All my friends, throughout the years, were jealous of me for having such a father. The father who attends all my matches in elementary, who attends my competitions in high school, who used to drive me to school and take me at the end of the day every single day. The father who I used to go to when I needed someone, who was a shoulder to me when I cried and a hand to high-five when I laughed. How can a perfect father who all along was a hero, turn up to be the villain?

A gang king, creating and selling drugs, killing people, breaking into houses, that man is my father? I shut my eyes tight and sobbed. I hit the pillow beside me for the hundredth time that day. And after all of this, he was killed and the people who hate him want to kill me. And I was hiding in his hideout with his gang, with killers and thieves and drug dealers. I widened my eyes. I needed to leave. I needed to leave this place, as soon as possible. Where to or how will I go didn't interest me as much as wanting to get out of this place.

I placed my hand on my chest, trying to catch my breath. My fingers were met with the warm silver around my neck. I looked down at the necklace my father gave me. I didn't know whether I should smile or cry. My anger didn't stop boiling up the more I thought about the necklace. I took it in my palm and ripped it off. I ripped off the only thing that was left to me from him. I look at the way Lia was written, seeing my father's smile as he handed it to me the same day he left me. I groaned and threw it on the ground.

I quickly wiped my eyes and sprinted to the door. I placed my hand on the knob, took a deep breath before opening the door, knowing that there are men outside who will ask me where I was going and probably stop me. I cleared my throat then twisted the knob.

As soon as I stepped out of the room, all eyes were on me and the whole noisy room turned silent. I gave them a small smile and acted stupid, I started walking to the stairs.

"Talia, are you okay? Where are you going?" Niko asked me.

"Uh," I paused when I heard my voice, I cleared my throat first then resumed, "I just need some time alone, in the backyard," I pointed behind me.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Joe asked and gave me a warm smile. I answered the smile with a smile and shook my head.

"No, it's okay, it won't be long. I just need a quick fresh air and I will come back."

Before being interrupted again, I made my way down the stairs. And as soon as I was sure that no one was in the first or second floor, I galloped like a crazy horse down the stairs and to the front door. I didn't waste any time before opening it and making my way out, letting the cold breeze of the night hit my warm skin. I softly shut the door behind me.

I scanned the space in front of me before taking the steps down then walked closer to the cars parked right in front of the door. The walk to the gate is long and I knew that it was full of security.

"Think, think," I hit my head, looking behind me than in front of me again. my brain wasn't functioning anymore, and I refused to waste time trying to find a solution, so I started running towards the front gate, hoping for a miracle. My soft pyjama wasn't helping me escape this place and at night, but I didn't give it a second thought. I needed to leave and that was all I knew.