• CHAPTER 40 •

Ace

I suddenly opened my eyes. My heart was racing and my breath was hitched. I fell asleep again. I sighed and rubbed my eyes when I realized that what startled me was the phone ring. I quickly grabbed it and answered when Talia groaned, rolling to the other side of the bed.

I slowly got out of bed and walked out of the room. I pulled the phone off my ear and looked at the hour. It was 7:00 AM.

"What? What did you call me so early?" I whisperingly yelled, as I closed the door behind me.

"I am sorry Ace, but I have news that can't wait," Joe spoke through the phone.

"What is it?"

"Fox visited Pablo today. He walked in about an hour ago and is still not out."

I widened my eyes, understanding why Pablo had been against me from the beginning and was thankful about what happened with the necklace because knowing Fox, he would have killed me after the mission.

"You know what that means?"

"Yeah, Joe check, follow Fox. I want every news and I will send you Romeo to continue keeping his eyes on Pablo."

I hung up and quickly walked in Romeo's room. I opened the door, "Romeo."

He quickly opened his eyes and pulled his arm from under the random girl's head.

"Get dressed Don Juan and meet me downstairs."

I walked out of the room, shaking my head. I went back to my room and cracked the door open. I tiptoed closer to the bed, checking if Talia was still sleeping. I caught myself smiling as I watched her angelic face. I walked to her side of the bed and placed a small kiss on her forehead, making sure not to wake her up, and slowly made my way to the door again.

"Ace," she groaned, making me turn to face her.

"Yes, love."

"Why are you up so early?" Her voice was heavy, making me smile again.

"I will be right back. Go back to sleep and I will join you in a bit."

She slowly nodded and closed her tired eyes again. I tilted my head and stared at her. She was driving me crazy and keeping me sane at the same time. I knew I would have done anything in the world to be a normal person to keep her safe and happy but when I looked back at my phone and saw Romeo's name, I remembered that I could never go back to be a normal person. Not because I didn't want to. But because a dead person could never be alive again.

I met Romeo in my office and told him about what Joe had told me. I told him that he needed to be careful not to be seen. When he left, I sat in the office for hours, trying to understand what happened and what was going to happen. How did Fox meet Pablo and why did they pick me to get the necklace? What were they planning to do to me when they held the necklace in their hands? But the most important question that I couldn't find an answer to was how to get out of this without being hurt or hurting anyone from around me.

"Ace," Her voice brought me back to reality. "You didn't come back," she pouted.

I cracked a smile, "I am sorry."

"What's wrong?" She approached the desk and I motioned my hand for her to come closer to me. When she did, I held her and forced her body to sit on my lap.

"Fox is working with Pablo," I calmly said.

She gasped, "What are you going to do?"

"I am still not sure," I threw my head back and closed my eyes. My head was shut as if I couldn't think anymore.

"You can't face him though, Ace. You need to make him think that everything is normal," she started, "trick him into thinking you are on his side if he is on yours."

"What do you mean?"

"Tell him you will give him the necklace if he gives you Fox,"

I raised my eyebrows. How couldn't I think of that?

"That's a perfect plan, I will call him now." I pushed her off my lap to call Pablo.

"Ace," she interrupted me. I looked up at her, "promise me something."

"Anything," I smiled.

"Promise me that no matter what you won't kill."

I stared into her eyes, unsure of what to say. I wanted to promise her. I wanted to make her feel like I wasn't a bad person. I wanted her to feel safe next to me but I knew that I would be lying if I promised her that.

"I promise," I mumbled.

"Pablo," I started, "what? don't you want your necklace or what?"

"Of course, I do, chico [boy]." He paused, "But honestly, 50% is too much, Alejandro."

"The necklace is not cheap either, Pablo," I got up from my desk and started walking around. The conversation was going exactly like I wanted it to go.

"I have another plan then,"

"What is it?"

"I believe it is harder than taking the 50% profit but I will give you both options and will give you all freedom to choose."

"Anything is easier than that."

I took a deep breath, "I am sure you know how much Fox has been getting on my nerves. He started by messing up our SP then when I stopped him he tried to kill me twice and God knows what he is planning right now. But I know he is planning shit because he doesn't leave what he wants behind," I gave him the perfect introduction.

"I will make him stop. Consider it done."

"No," I leaned on my desk, "I want him to rest in peace."

A few hours later, Al called me

A few hours later, Al called me. He told me something that fogged my brain. He told me that a woman had been roaming around Talia's house. She has been asking about whether or not she still lived there. When I asked Al to ask her about what she wanted, he told me that she wanted to see her because she was her mother, Linda fucking Torres.