• CHAPTER 34 •

Talia

A few hours passed, and Ace didn't come back. All the boys talked about who this man was and how such an important man could visit Ace and speak to him. They kept wondering what they were talking about and why Ace left right after and didn't come back yet. If it was a private thing, why did Ace not know he was coming, and if it was a mission, why did they sit privately, and Ace chose not to tell them anything?

"Eavesdropping again?"

I gasped. It was Carmin again. I took a deep breath and looked at him, still wearing the shirt that I suspected to be Ace's. I looked her up and down, then looked back at the boys talking.

"You know if you sit with them, they won't say anything, right?"

"I am not annoying like that," I said, still giving her my back.

"But you're curious to know where Ace is." I quickly turned to face her, "you could simply ask," she shrugged and smiled. I looked at her, wanting to grimace at her for how much she got on my nerves, for how she got Ace in ways I would never have.

"I know you don't like me because of what you see Ace and I do, but I just want to clarify one thing," she started, grabbing my wrist, "come." I let her drag me up the stairs to my room, then closed the door behind me. "Sit," she pointed at the bed and went to sit. I stayed silent and followed her, sitting in front of her. "You're probably wondering what I want from you. And you're also probably wondering what is a 40 years old doing, messing with a man who is 26 years."

I widened my eyes. I didn't know she was in her forties. I thought she was in her late twenties or beginning thirties. "You're forty?"

"I am 38, exactly." She smiled. "But that's not our issue." She nodded, "I want to talk to you about Ace. Ace and I have been doing so for so long. I saw him a while ago when he first met Al to sell the SP. We started seeing each other every time he came to visit us. In the beginning, I liked him because he was handsome and rich. But then, when I got to know him, I liked him even more." I raised my eyebrows at her making her laugh. "Let me finish," she raised her hands in the air, "the relationship Ace and I have is simply," she paused and looked for the word to say, "physical."

"Yeah, I think I saw that–"

"No, no, I mean," she sucked in a deep breath, looking for other words to explain what she meant, "Ace and I have an agreement that we will always be friends but with a little physical relation."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because he loves you, Talia."

My heart dropped. I stared at her, unsure of what to say. I wanted to ask many questions, but my tongue was frozen as if it got bit by a bee.

"I know you're probably taken aback by what I said, and I know you probably don't believe me after what he once told you, but I am telling you, Talia," she shook her head, "I know, Ace. Better than anyone. Better than Frank. I am with him more than anyone else, and I have never seen him care for someone as he cares for you. I see the way his eyes light when someone mentions your name."

I scoffed, "he doesn't think so. I told him. I told him that the care he gives me is abnormal, but he just–" I shook my head. I wasn't surprised. I knew Ace had something for me that he was unable to admit.

"He said he doesn't do love. I know, but it's because of Lily."

I turned to face her, "Lily?"

Was it his ex? Did she cheat on him? Did she traumatize him? So many questions invaded my head as she was taking her breath to carry on.

"She was Ace's love. She was the girl who made him fall on his knees for her. He loves her. So much."

"What happened?"

"She died." She placed her lips in her mouth, watching my reaction, "he watched her die." She nodded. "They were together, getting back home from an amazing night, and they shot her in front of him. She died in his arms." I stayed silent as my heart shattered into a million pieces. "He knew she was his weakness, and since then, he refused to love again. He is scared, traumatized by what happened." She paused, and I looked away. "I know you love him too, Talia. Talk to him. Get him to open up. He can finally feel it again. He doesn't want to admit it."

"But he," I shook my head. My heart was aching for him and what he went through, but I did the same with my father.

"He loves you, Talia. He doesn't want to admit it. He thinks that loving you will get you killed. I agree, though. Loving you could endanger you because many people want Ace to be weak, and love is his weakness. But you deserve to pick your path. He will try his best to keep you safe, but his girlfriend once died before his eyes. You know what that means."

I looked at her and nodded, knowing exactly the path I had chosen.

"Talia," I turned to Joe, standing at the door, holding the knob and peaking inside the room. He looked at Carmin and then back at me. He had the right to be confused.

"Yes, Joe."

"I, uh, I am going home, you know," he nodded and stepped into the room, "do you–do you want to come with me?"

I looked at Carmin, who stared at me, wanting to know what I would say and who I picked.

"I am going to stay, Joe."

He nodded and looked down. He turned to leave, so I got up and ran to him and hugged him. He hugged me tightly as if it was a goodbye, and I let him.

"I'm sorry," I whispered into his ear, closing my eyes at the pain that shot my heart when he grabbed my shirt from behind in his palm, squeezing it before letting me go. He looked into my eyes, silently telling me things. He swallowed the gulp that was raised in his throat, then said, "I just want you to know that I will always be there for you, and my house will always be open for you to come." He gave me a warm smile before turning his back to me and walking away.

Hours later, Ace finally walked into his room.

"I knew you'd come here first," I said with a warm smile, watching his eyes make sure it was me he was seeing.