Act XVI

"What has gotten into you two?" Ms. Gold questioned incredulously.

Mr. Harding had gotten Zach off of Jimmy, who was bruised and clutching his stomach loosely. The blonde glanced over at Zach, scowling, and opened his mouth to speak, but Zach beat him to it.

"I was just defending my boyfriend," Zach lied in a mock innocent tone. "Jimmy hit him, and-"

"I did not, you prick," Jimmy spat. "You were the one who-"

"Language, Mr. Solidarity," Mr. Harding warned.

Jimmy sighed. "Fine, sorry," he apologized. "But I wasn't the one who hit Scott. Zach was."

Zach scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Yeah, because I would hit my own boyfriend. Real smart comeback, Jim. And why do you suppose I would do that?"

"I don't know, you tell me!"

Mr. Harding huffed. "Alright, alright. That's enough bickering, you two. You're deep in trouble, don't make it worse for yourself."

Ms. Gold smiled softly at Mr. Harding. "Dear, you're being a bit harsh," she said. "It's not a big deal as long as they tell us the truth. Isn't that right, Zach?"

Zach nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

"So, first of all, I want to hear both sides of the story," Ms. Gold said as she waved Mr. Harding off. Zach opened his mouth to speak, but Ms. Gold cut him off. "Starting, with Jimmy."

Jimmy sighed. "I was coming back here for... uh, something" - he let out a nervous chuckle - "and I heard Zach and Scott fighting. Zach had taken Scott's phone and shoved him against the wall, and-"

"I did not, he's lying!" Zach interrupted.

Ms. Gold held up her hand. "It's not your turn to speak, Zach."

Jimmy had to force himself to not smile at the irritated look on Zach's face. "I came out from behind the curtain," he continued, "because Zach was forcing Scott against the wall and kissing him when he didn't want him to. I told Zach to leave Scott alone. Scott said something, Zach hit him, and then..." He sighed. "And then I hit Zach. At that point Zach was only retaliating to me."

Nodding, Ms. Gold turned to Zach. "I see. Is this true, Zachariah?"

Zach visibly cringed when she used his full name before shaking his head. "Part of it is, but I never hit Scott," he said. "He's my boyfriend, I would never-"

"You see," Ms. Gold interrupted, "it's hard to believe that you didn't hit him when everyone outside these curtains could hear Scott's distress."

Zach's eyes widened, and he mumbled something, but neither Jimmy nor Ms. Gold could pick up on it.

"Detention for the rest of the week," Ms. Gold said sternly. "You'll be suspended from the after school drama program until further notice." Zach gasped and opened his mouth to speak, but Ms. Gold beat him to it when she turned to Jimmy. "As for you, you'll be stuck in lunch detention for the next two weeks for instigating a physical fight on school grounds. You are both dismissed from drama club for the day."

Jimmy and Zach exchanged wide-eyed, confused looks as Ms. Gold turned and walked away.

"Wait," Jimmy called after the teacher, who stopped and looked back over her shoulder. "Am I suspended from drama club, too?"

Ms. Gold smiled. "No, of course not," she said. "Lunch detention is your punishment. Zach is suspended for lying to me." And then she was gone.

Jimmy sat outside the theater for the rest of drama club.