Act XXVI

This chapter takes place right after Grian and Lizzie leave for Joel's apartment

*   *   *

"Goodbye," Grian chirped happily before shuting the front door behind him.

Scott sighed, leaning back in his chair. "I'm so tired," he breathed as he closed his eyes. "I could sleep for a million years."

Jimmy giggled. "I could get you set up in Gri- er, the guest room," he offered.

Scott opened his eyes to look at Jimmy. "You act like I'm moving in with you guys," he laughed. Scott stiffened and sat up straight when Jimmy fell quiet. "Jimmy-"

"It's just a suggestion," Jimmy defended himself quickly, holding his hands up in innocence. "You don't have to, but... I already got the okay from my dad to let you stay with us."

"Oh..." Scott shifted in his seat. "You guys don't have to let me sta-"

"Be quiet," Jimmy said sternly. "You don't have to agree to it, but we're giving you the option to stay because we care about you. You deserve to have a place to stay."

Scott looked away. "Okay," he mumbled finally. "I can stay as long as I want?"

Jimmy smiled simultaneously as his eyes lit up. "Yeah," he breathed. "Yeah, you can stay here for the rest of your life if you want to." He shook his head and Scott giggled. "Not that- not that you would want to stay for the rest of your life," the lime-haired boy said, "or even at all for that matter. You don't have to-"

Scott put a finger over Jimmy's mouth to hush him. "You're such a dork," he said fondly. "I'll stay. Just for a little while, so you guys don't worry about me."

Jimmy didn't say anything, instead just nodding.

Scar, who Jimmy had frankly forgotten was even there, snorted. "You guys are so gay," he said, and Jimmy rolled his eyes.

"Don't act like you didn't just tell Grian to rai-"

"Okay, this seems like a great time for a glass of water," Scar interrupted, hopping down from his chair.

Jimmy and Scott laughed as the brunette rushed into the kitchen, his face redder than the paint on the dining room walls.

Scott sighed, though he didn't say anything for a while. He sat in silence and looked like he was desperate to mention something, but it was almost like he couldn't.

"You okay?" Jimmy asked, turning to face Scott directly.

"I-" Scott huffed. "I just... I want to say I'm sorry," he said finally. "And before you tell me I have nothing to apologize for... I do." He stared Jimmy in the eyes for a moment, seemingly unsure of how to continue. "I saw that Zach tried to hurt you again," the violetette continued. "It... it's my fault. If I wouldn't have asked you not to open the bag, then you wouldn't have stopped him from showing Mr. Harding, and he would'n't have-" He buried his face in his hands as a sound somewhere between a gasp and a sob. "I'm sorry, I-"

Jimmy pulled Scott into a loose hug. "It's okay," he said. He was careful not to tell Scott he has nothing to apologize for so he wouldn't be more upset. "He didn't hurt me. Not much, anyways. You don't have anything to worry about."

Pulling away only enough to look up at Jimmy, Scott sniffled. "Really? Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm sure," Jimmy said with a soft smile, tucking a piece of Scott's hair behind his ear.

Scott smiled back. "Okay." He glanced slightly downward, and Jimmy's stomach fluttered as he did the same, eyes drifting down to Scott's lips.

They shouldn't. They both knew that they shouldn't. Jimmy himself said he didn't like when Scott played with his feelings like that, but...