Act XXXIV

Hello!!

I didn't lie when I posted that a new chapter was coming soon lol

I honestly don't know why this took me so long to write, though- It's pretty short compared to other chapters, but sometimes that's just how it goes.

I hope you enjoy!

* * *

Grian, Mumbo, and Scar spent the rest of the night in peace, turning on the live action of Aladdin until Grian eventually fell asleep. Once he was out, Scar and Mumbo turned the volume down on the TV and went into the kitchen to talk. There a beat of silence before they both spoke at the same time.

"I'm sor- Oh, you can go- No, it's fine- Okay, I'll go-"

They stared at each other for a moment before laughing.

"You go first, Scar," Mumbo said, leaning against the sink counter.

Scar nodded and took a moment to collect his thoughts. "I'm sorry, Mumbo," he said finally. He began to fidget with his hands. "I... I shouldn't have said those things."

"Honestly," Mumbo interjected with a soft smile, "we're both in the wrong." He held his arms open, signaling for a hug. "I'm sorry, too, Scar."

Scar stepped forward and wrapped his arms around Mumbo's middle, pillowing his head on the other's chest. It was funny how much taller Mumbo was than Scar, even though Scar was still pretty tall for their age.

"You smell nice," Scar murmured, his words half muffled by the way he pressed his cheek against Mumbo's shoulder. "Like coconut."

Mumbo snickered. "Not sure where you got the coconut from, my soap is vanilla scented," he said. "And I'd hope I smell nice, I did just shower an hour ago."

Scar giggled before finally letting go. He stared at Mumbo, admiring his facial features.

"What?" Mumbo asked, smiling slightly with an eyebrow raised.

Scar blinked. "Nothing." He turned and leaned at an awkward angle to see if Grian was still sleeping then turned back to Mumbo. "So, uh... what are we going to do?"

Mumbo hummed to himself for a moment, looking at the clock on the wall. "I mean, we could finish Aladdin and then-"

"No, not-" Scar shook his head. "That's not what I meant. I meant" - he reached for Mumbo's hands - "what are we going to do about us?"

"Oh." Mumbo's face went a little red. "Um... I don't know." He glanced away. "I mean, we should probably talk about this tomorrow. When Grian's awake."

Scar threw his head back in a dramatic whine, letting go of Mumbo's hands. "I don't want to talk tomorrow," he groaned. "I want to figure this out now! You know I hate waiting."

Mumbo gave him another soft smile. "I think we'd be more productive in a conversation where Grian is feeling better," he said with a light laugh. "Besides, I think we all need to be a part of the conversation anyway."

Scar puffed out his cheeks. "...Fine," he sighed.

"So, do you want to finish the movie?" Mumbo asked.

"Can we make popcorn?"

Mumbo chuckled. "Sure, why not?"

* * *

Scar jolted awake, not having time to process whether he had a nightmare or not before he heard whining. Grian was laid on top of him and was more than likely upset about the way Scar shook.