Act XLI

To all of you passionate Zach haters... you're going to like this chapter.

Trigger warning for death, mention of self delete, mention of child abuse/neglect, mention of pedophilia, and mention of drug abuse. Stay safe, my loves <3

*   *   *

"Dad! Lizzie's throwing up again!" Jimmy yelled down the stairway.

Lizzie let out a loud groan from the bathroom. "I'm fine!" she hollered.

Daniel sighed, standing up from his desk. "I'm coming," he called. He rushed up the steps, Jimmy stepping aside to let him pass. He heard Lizzie coughing and vomitting again, his heart breaking at the way she sobbed after she was done.

Lizzie looked up when Daniel knocked on the door, brushing sweat-soaked hair out of her face. "Hi," she said shakily.

"Oh, honey." Daniel knelt next to her and put his hand against her forehead. "Jesus, Liz. Have you been hanging out in the oven?" She didn't laugh at his joke and he sighed. "I think I just might have to take you to the hospital."

Lizzie shook her head. "No, I'm fine," she objected. "I have-" She'd reached for the bottle of cold syrup, but it was empty. "Oh."

"That's what you get for chugging the whole thing even though Dad said not to," Jimmy huffed from the doorway, earning a glare from Daniel.

"Now isn't the time, kiddo," Daniel said, then turned back to his daughter. "Sweetie, drinking that stuff like it's tea won't help." He stood up and offered his hands out to help Lizzie up. "Jimmy, go grab her some slippers and a coat."

Jimmy nodded and scurried off to his sister's bedroom.

Lizzie sighed. "I'm fine, Father," she said, ignoring Daniel's offer to help. Instead, she used the toilet to help her stand  "I don't need to go to the-" She squealed when she fell to the side, her vision spinning too much to walk straight. Luckily, Daniel caught her.

He smiled gently at her. "I think a trip to the hospital might be a good idea."

*   *   *

"You drank the whole bottle in an hour?!" Daniel shouted, not taking his eyes off the road.

Lizzie winced at the volume of his voice. "I didn't mean to," she murmured.

Daniel sighed. "I'm sorry for yelling," he apologized. "I shouldn't raise my voice. I just... Liz, you've probably poisoned yourself."

"I'm sorry."

The car stopped as the light turned red, and Daniel turned to the girl sulking next to him. "You don't need to apologize to me," he said. "You should be apologizing to your body." He let out another sigh and reached out to rub Lizzie's knee, the girl's eyes beginning to water. "But, just relax, okay? I doubt it'll cause too much damage, so take a deep breath. You're not in any trouble. I'm just worried about you, alright? You're okay."

Lizzie nodded and rubbed at her eyes. "'Kay," she said, then she sniffled loudly.

Daniel kissed her cheek just before the light turned green. "You're alright, baby."

*   *   *

"Dad, can I go get a soda from the vending machine?" Jimmy whispered as Daniel waited for the receptionist to return.