Act XXX

Lemme just take a little moment for a bit of self promotion... I've recently started a new Double Life book called If He Loves Me which you guys should definitely go check out, wink wink nudge nudge, and I have a not-so-recent-but-still-sort-of-new book called A Cup of Coffee to Ease the Pain out, as well. You don't have to, but I'd really appreciate it if y'all went and gave them a quick look-see. :D /lh

*   *   *

"I'm leaving for Joel's now," Lizzie called to her father from the kitchen as she gathered three bento-style boxes into a plastic shopping bag.

Daniel looked up from his laptop, his thin-wired glasses resting on the tip of his nose. "Have fun, sweetie," he said. "You're staying the night there, right?"

Lizzie hummed in confirmation before gently grabbing the arm of a pacing Jimmy and pressing a quick kiss to his cheek. "Love ya'," she whispered. "Tell me if you find Scott."

Jimmy nodded before turning back to the phone in his hand. He'd been trying to get a hold of Scott for the past two hours, sadly to no avail. Since having their argument at drama club, Jimmy hadn't seen Scott once, and Scott didn't bother coming home, either.

"Bye, Papa," Lizzie called to Daniel, who smiled and waved. "See you two tomorrow!"

"Goodbye, sweetheart," Daniel said just as Lizzie shut the front door.

"Come on," Jimmy whispered, stopping his pacing about the kitchen to tap his foot on the ground. He went silent a moment, holding his breath until he was met with Scott's voicemail. Again. "Dammit-"

"Language," Daniel called from the dining room.

Jimmy sighed and sat down at the island counter, crossing his forearms over the marble and planting his face in the fold of his elbow. "I'm an idiot," he sobbed. "I ruin everything." He went quiet for a moment before mumbling, "Maybe this world would be better without me."

That got Daniel's attention real fast.

"Woah, woah, woah," Daniel said, peeling himself away from his laptop to rush over to Jimmy. "Slow down, kiddo." He nudged his son's shoulder, coaxing Jimmy to lift his head. "Look at me." Jimmy did. "What's going on?"

Jimmy stared at his father for a moment. "I ruined everything," he said finally, and Daniel pulled him in for a comforting embrace. "I shouldn't have stayed home. I should've gone to school this morning."

"Why's that?" Daniel asked softly, in stark contrast to Jimmy's crying.

"Because Scott hates me!" Jimmy yelled. His grip on Daniel's flanel tightened and Daniel responded by whispering sweet little reassurances into Jimmy's ear. "He hates me..."

"I'm sure he doesn't-"

"He said it!" Jimmy shouted, pushing Daniel away now. "He said he hates me!" Jimmy's face was red and soaked, and the defeated, angry look in his eyes was something terrifyingly unforgettable to his father. "He hates me 'cause I'm a jerk and an idiot-" He cut himself off with a sob, but barely gave himself time to breathe before he continued, "I should've shut my stupid mouth, I'm so dumb-" His poor choice of not taking another breath before talking caught up to him as, between already being a blubbering mess and still trying to speak, he struggled to get air back into his lungs.

Daniel took note of this. "Hey," he said calmly, putting a hand on each of Jimmy's shoulders. "I need you to breathe for me, okay?"

Jimmy shook his head. "I'm t-try-"