Act XLII

This chapter takes place the morning after last chapter.

Trigger warning for mention of sa and mention of abuse (don't worry, there's fluff, I promise /srs). Stay safe, my loves <3

*   *   *

Grian's eyes opened, taking in a sliver of sunlight that barely managed to peak through the space between two dark grey, black-out curtains. Odd. His curtains were red, weren't they? He sat upright, pushing off a heavy blanket. When did he get a weighted blanket? A look around told him it wasn't even his bedroom he was in.

There were lots of Marvel and anime posters on almost every wall, which cancelled out the possibility that he was in Joel's bedroom, and shelves decked out in figurines and books. He didn't recognize much of anything, only being able to tell some of the posters were of Marvel characters because of the logos. He'd never seen any Marvel before. His mother never let him watch TV, and the only shows he watched were what was played at Jimmy and Lizzie's house.

But where was he?

The door creaked open, and in peaked a boy who looked a little older than Joel, though he had white hair. "Oh, hey, you're up," he said, then let himself in. "You feeling okay?"

Grian blinked. The other's face looked familiar, but he couldn't put a name to it. And trying to remember what happened before he fell asleep wasn't working either. "Where am I?" he asked. "And who are you?

The boy chuckled. "I'm Joel's friend, Etho," he said. "You're in my room."

"Why am I in your room?" Grian asked with his head tilted to the side.

Etho walked over and sat on the edge of the bed. "You passed out yesterday in the kitchen," he explained. "I figured you'd want somewhere comfy to sleep, so I brought you in here. Are you feeling any better? Can I get you anything?"

Grian looked away. "My head hurts," he mumbled. "My throat is kinda dry..."

Etho nodded. "Pain killers and water. Anything else?"

There was a short moment of quiet, the only sound being the soft growl of Grian's stomach. His face flushed at the sound, and Etho snickered.

"And some breakfast, got it." He stood up and seemed to almost brush off his legs as if he were covered in dirt. "What do you want?"

Grian looked up at the other with curious eyes. "You're... letting me choose?"

"No, I'm asking the Enderman over there," Etho deadpanned, pointing to a plush Enderman that sat on a shelf above the bed. "Yes, I'm letting you choose. It's your meal."

"Oh. Right, of course." Grian shifted. "Uh... What do you have?"

Etho hummed. "Well, I have muffins, waffles, bread for toa-"

"Do you have strawberry jam?" Grian asked with wide eyes.

"Are you kidding? Who doesn't have strawberry jam?" Etho snorted. "Lemme guess, toast?" He laughed again at Grian's excited nodding. "Alright, come on."

*   *   *

Jimmy stood in front of the door to Scott's hospital room, contemplating whether he should just go back home with Lizzie and Daniel.

"No," he told himself. "Scott's probably having the worst time of his life right now. He needs comfort." He looked down at the box of chocolate and the cookies and cream milkshake in his hands. "Hopefully this helps him feel better." He knocked on the door, letting out a sigh of relief when he heard Scott's voice tell him to come in.