| Chapter Twenty-Three | Close Calls

No One's POV

"It's the only way. No one else knows." Rick says.

Rick looks between Hershel and Daryl.

"You gonna tell 'em?" Daryl asks.

"Not til after. We have to do it today. It has to be quiet." Rick says.

There was a silence until Daryl broke it.

"You got a plan?" Daryl asks.

"We tell her we need to talk. Away from the others." Rick says.

Daryl looks over Rick's shoulder, at Hershel. Hershel looks down and Daryl turns his eyes back to Rick.

"Just ain't us, man." Daryl says.

"No. No it isn't." Hershel says, before walking away.

"We do this, we avoid a fight. No one else dies." Rick says.

"Aight." Daryl says.

"We need someone else." Rick says, giving Daryl a look.

Two people crossed Daryl's mind.

"Tavia ain't gon agree to this." Daryl says.

"She's already voiced it. I spoke with her, Lexa, and Roan about the deal. They're against giving up Michonne." Rick says.

"Man, I can't lie to Octavia." Daryl says.

"Then don't. If she asks you, tell her. I'll take her fury. But if she doesn't, you ain't lying to her." Rick says.

"I'm also not tellin her." Daryl says.

"Look, I'm sorry to put you in that position but I need someone I can trust to have my back. I trust you a lot more than anyone. And we need someone else to help." Rick says.

Daryl sighs and knows who he's talking about then nods.

"I'll talk to him." Daryl says.

"I'll do it." Rick says.

"I'll go with you." Daryl says.

"No. Just me." Rick says.

Daryl watched him leave and adjusts his crossbow on his shoulder. He takes a deep breath. He didn't like this. And he hated keepin shit from Octavia. She'd go for his jugular when she finds out.

Rick made his way through the cell block and up the stairs to find Merle tearing up the prison beds. Merle spots him and smirks.

"Just looking for a little vacation. Best dope I ever had was in a mattress. Ah. Nothing. This place must have been no fun at all." Merle says, leaning against the wall.

"We need your help." Rick says.

Merle chuckles.

"Do you even know why you do the things you do? The choices you make?" Rick asks.

Silence.

"If we give the governor Michonne, Woodbury stands down." Rick says.

Merle instantly got to his feet.

"I don't like it, but it's what needs to be done. We need to make it quiet. We need your help with that." Rick says.

"You ain't told any of the others, huh?" Merle asks.

"Just Hershel, Daryl, and you. O, Lexa, and Roan know it's the offer from the governor but voiced their disagreements with it." Rick says.

"Huh. The inner circle. I'm honored. (Chuckles) Baby girl ain't gon like her daddy keepin her outta the loop. She's usually your right hand. I know ya and my lil brother are like this now but ain't nobody got yer back like family. Especially a daughter and her father." Merle says.