Chapter 15: Mind Reading

Seeing her mother again left Wren shook, and she thought the dragons had been lying to her.  But the fate of Uruk lied in her hands now. She had to find Cassia and then they were off. There was no time to waste in this purple filled dump. 

"What did you just call this place? A dump? Are you kidding?" Someone said. 

"Who's there?" Wren shuddered. She felt scared by the voice. 

"There's no reason to be scared, I'm Tulsi, a mind reading dragon. Sorry for that rude introduction. And this place isn't only purple. I assume you've met Marchu." The dragon said, looking at the flower in Wren's hand. 

"Umm....yeah." She was afraid to think and tried to clear out her head. This dragon could learn all her secrets!

"It's okay to think, Wren. I'm sorry if I've made you uncomfortable." Tulsi was about to fly off to who knows where. 

"Wait!" The dragon turned around. "Do you know who Anna Harmet is?" 

"Anna Harmet, your mother, I suppose? Yes, she was the only other human to make it in here, Anna was a kind girl, always taking care of us. Didn't have much care for me though. She thought it was freaky I could read her mind- unintentionally. She mostly hung out with Ancho." 

"What did my mother do?" 

"She had dreams of traveling the world with Ancho, showing everyone how dragons are good. Sadly, Ajowan banished her from the hills once he heard what he called 'the stupidest idea'. Anna was heartbroken but she did as the selfish dragon said. That's how she had you, I assumed." Tulsi finished his story. 

Wren was awestruck. Her mother was just like her! A heart of gold really could be inherited. But Wren's hate grew for Ajowan. She'd heard all the dragons talking bad about him and never realized that they were right. He was a control freak, poisoning the beautiful forest. Wren wanted to prove humans and dragons could live together and coexist! But now she'd have to be more careful, because if Ajowan found out her plan, she too would be banished.