Chapter 19: The Mysterious Figure

Being back in the once bustling Capital of Uruk brought back some repressed memories. Wren's mind ached as thoughts flooded it. As soon as Zaatar set her down, she slid off his spiky back, helping Xavier get off as well, and started making her way to the once crowded streets. All she found was debris and tracks of blood along the stone paved roads. Signs of a Troblin attack. Out of the corner of her eye, Wren saw a cloaked figure. As soon as the figure realized she'd seen them, they took of running.

"Hey! Wait up!" Wren yelled, although she wasn't sure if the figure would care. After years of being a knight's apprentice, she had picked up some skills and caught up to the figure in no time, until they were at a dead end. She took her sword out of the casing as it made a glinting sound, catching the figure's attention. It turned around and Wren aimed for the crest on the cloak, which, if cut, could reveal their identity. Just as she was about to cut the crest, a Troblin ran in front of the sword, causing him to get impaled by the blade. Still, she managed to cut the crest and saw a tall woman with pale skin and brown eyes, but Wren could swear she saw a hint of red in them. Her hair was black, and as she realized Wren had seen her face, she gasped and jumped over the stone wall, leaving nothing but a tiny pearl behind. Wren picked it up, and decided to stuff it in her pocket for later. Why would that woman be wearing a cloak to hide her identity? And why did she start running as soon as Wren saw her? These thoughts haunted Wren's head, but one haunted her way more than all the others.

Why did a Troblin defend her?

It seemed like such a weird thing, mortal enemies......could there be something Wren didn't know? Her blue eyes shined in the sun. She immediately headed over to Zaatar and Xavier, struggling to think as she found him as the same young man he transformed into before.

"Hey, you okay? You like like you've seen a ghost...." Wren tucked the pearl she had found back into her other pocket, hoping it could be a clue to find out who the mysterious woman was.

"I....found a cloaked figure. So I chased after it, and as I cut the crest to reveal their identity, a Troblin jumped in front of the sword and died." Wren was looking towards the ground, wanting to see anything except his stunned face.

"I've never heard of Troblins defending humans..."

"Well then it's obvious the Troblins have humans in their army! But why would a human betray Uruk?"

"Maybe just that one person. We're not sure about the rest."

"Come on. We have to get out of here to investigate." Wren said, urging for Zaatar to transform back into his original dragon form.

"So where we off to? I think Ajowan already knows we're gone. Imagine how livid he is right now! Oh, I wish I could see his face!" Zaatar chuckled.

"We're heading to Gurr. We have to find the answer there. No doubt the woman fled there if she's working with Troblins." And with that, Zaatar flapped his wings and headed to the death sentence up ahead. Tiny holes stuck out of the ground, leading to the underground city. There were lots of Troblin guards blocking the way.

"Wait, you're taking me into Gurr?!" Xavier looked scared.

"That is a problem. I'll take you back to Anna's."

"But what about-"

"It's okay. There's not much you can help with anyway." They made a pit stop in Dratch and then set off again.

"How are we supposed to get past the Troblin guards?" Zaatar asked.

"Easy. You said dragons haven't been seen in over 2,000 years. I think we can fly over them with ease."