Chapter 22: Cardithas

The next day, when Wren woke up, she couldn't help wonder what was going on with Zaatar. He would have no issues, because he looked like a Troblin. But sadly, she hadn't seen any Troblin with a jewel encrusted dagger. Two Troblins interrupted her thoughts. She had nicknamed the prison guards Grouchy and Sleepy, as one would always look tired, and the other one with the coldest expression. It seemed like they were carrying.....a golem?! Grouchy shoved him inside, and Wren could see a tear drop down the golem's stone cheek. He looked up at her, and suddenly, the tears faded away. 

"Wren!" He ran up and hugged her. It took her a moment to understand who it was, but then she realized. 

"Cardithas!" She was just as glad to see him. "Are you okay? Why'd you get captured?" 

"They took all the baby golems. I don't know why, but my mom went to go get food for us and then they took me away." Knowing Cardithas's mother, Wren knew his mom would come and destroy Gurr if she found out where her son was. In fact, she just might have been on her way. All Wren wished was to see the sun again. She pictured warm golden rays on her skin, the breeze in her hair and the Jule walking around her with their beautiful flowers. Instantly, she pictured Ludo in her mind. 

"Wren, you must steal the shard. It is part of a sacred rock that keeps us Jule alive and rules the forest. Although humans and Troblins may not realize it, us Jule are the foundation of all society.  Without us, everyone will fall." Ludo said to her in her consciousness.  Wren didn't know if she was dreaming, or if Ludo somehow managed to send her a telepathic message, which Wren didn't even know Jules could do. But her gut told her to trust the tiny creature. She rapidly opened her eyes and faced Cardithas. 

"Do you think you're strong enough to bend the bars?" She asked him. 

"I'll try." He wiped the tears off his rocky cheeks and made his way to the cell bars. Grouchy and Sleepy were away doing who knows what, but hopefully they didn't come back in some time. Cardithas put his palms on the bars and gripped them with all his might. They bent just enough for Wren and him to slide through. 

"Good job!" Wren told him, giving him a high five. They quickly slid through the metal bars, cold to the touch. 

"Where to?" Cardithas asked quietly. Wren didn't know either, and she really wished she had a Troblin to show her around. Wren had a plan. She saw a Troblin out of the corner of her eye. She took out her sword and dove to it, and before it could notice she had her knife up to his throat. 

"What's your name?" She asked in a stern voice. 

"C-Calder." He seemed scared for his life. 

"Alright Calder, lead us to the shard." He gulped, as if thinking about refusing. But he valued his life more. 

"R-right this way, miss." Calder started walking, and Wren and Cardithas followed him, Wren's blade still dangerously close to his neck. They got to the room, but Wren was smarter than the Troblin. She quickly covered his mouth before he could yell, "HELP!" Now Wren had to figure out what to do with the Troblin. She shoved him into a nearby cell and locked it, putting tape in her pocket over his mouth. Before she could even enter the room, she heard the unmistakable voice. 

"Dagen, Dalvin, Wren's behind that corner. Please dispose of her. Can't believe she hasn't figured it out yet."