Ottawa

Hi everyone! For those who have read this far! I am Hitemwiththefour and I have been writing this story for a while now! I love the idea of a poly fic and I love hockey so I figured I would put it forth on Wattpad as well as A03 and Tumblr but I would like to thank you for reading it!

-----------------------------------------------------

Chapter 11

My phone rang and I silenced it. I didn't Have time to talk to the boys. Especially after I had sent them a memo saying I would be unavailable for the time being due to a big project and my father being sick. I am currently sitting in a hospital room with him at Ottawa General. My phone goes off again and I silence it again before shutting my laptop and getting up to go for a walk while he's sleeping. My father and I had a strained relationship due to my parents divorcing. He was not always the father I needed when I needed him and for that I was resentful. Things happened when his father died and we had to travel to Pittsburgh to attend the funeral, he took to the internet (specifically Facebook) to disown my brother and I, as well as his brothers. He basically told everyone who would listen that we were not his kids and that he was ashamed of us. It was a tough time, especially due to the fact that I was graduating high school at the time and did not have time for this, I was starting my degree at The University of Ottawa going back to the place I had always dreamed of going back to and my brother being younger took a different route to handling this stuff. He threw himself into his sports as a means of working out his anger. My mom was just as mad as we were and threatened to take him to court over it. Which was all that I needed to direct my desire to law. I wanted children to grow up with fair opportunities and not what happened to me because that was not fair. I would never put anyone through that and it was one of my deepest and darkest moments. I fell into a depression and thought about ending it all over the next few years, I still feel this way some days but thanks to medicine and therapy I have recovered to such a way that I know I can handle whatever is thrown at me. I refused to become like my father had called us, failures. I wanted to succeed and show him that we were not his children, we were a product of love and life and exactly what my mother had raised us to be. I would not be my fathers daughter and would not let him dictate my life. That was until he got cancer. When he was diagnosed with cancer and told it was serious we reconciled and he apologised for everything. I told him how I felt and so did my brother and we were there for him through everything. My brother has since had a falling out again with my father over who knows what but I've stayed strong and tried to ensure our relationship was better. So as he lays in a hospital bed with no loved ones around I am forced to be the one who takes time off to be with him. I explained to Kyle what was the case and he granted me a few days off saying that the boys will be okay without me and all he asked was that I keep my phone on incase. He offered me his assistance and counselling through the organization but I had graciously declined his offer saying that it was okay and that everything would work out. It was a line I had told myself all the time throughout the years as a means to keep my head on straight. I give my fathers sleeping form a kiss on the head and step out of the room when my phone rings a third time.

"What could it possibly be?" I hissed not even thinking to look at the caller ID.

"Is that anyway to greet your Daddy?" Jason asks and my stomach drops.

"I'm so sorry Jason, I just was in the middle of studying and I didn't see who was calling and wasn't thinking." I ramble on.

"It's okay little one, I'm just calling to see how you're doing. The boys miss you around here but we know school is so important."

"It's okay, I'm just working on my case study and trying to figure everything out so that I can get back to you soon." Or get back to my father whatever is best.