chapter four.

MALLORY'S POV

I knew it. I fucking knew it.

Though I was so excited for him to visit me in LA this weekend, I had a feeling that he wasn't going to be able to make it. I knew it.

But, we were less than 48 hours away from seeing each other, I thought nothing was going to stop our first Valentine's Day together. I was wrong.

I knew it wasn't his fault, and I knew he didn't mean to hurt me, but I just couldn't seem to stop crying.

I missed him so fucking much.

It was so hard going this long without being with him. It had only been a month and a half, but it was much longer than any time we've ever spent apart from each other. I had been looking forward to this weekend so much, and now I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I understood that it was for his job, he was much busier now that he was actually filming for the show. I wouldn't have been so upset if he would've told me from the beginning, but for me to find out less than 48 hours before I was expecting him? And for me to find out from someone else? He couldn't even tell me?

It had me wondering when he actually was planning on telling me, if he was at all. Was he just going to ghost me when I expected him to come to my apartment Friday night? Was he going to lie to me and make up some excuse for why he couldn't come? My overthinking was getting the best of me and as badly as I wanted answers, I couldn't bring myself to talk to him right now.

Going a little over a month without seeing each other may not sound bad, but I came to the realization that I was practically addicted to Drew. I craved his presence more than he knew, I could kill for one of his hugs. I missed spending my down time with him, cuddling with him when we went to bed, inhaling his scent whenever he held me in a hug, hearing him talk about a new book he started reading. The list could go on and on.

And just when I was less than 48 hours away from accomplishing all of those things and more, it vanished right before me as soon as Mads said "How did you take it when Drew told you he wasn't going it make it this weekend?"

My heart hurt as I thought about those words over and over. My weekend was ruined and there was nothing I wanted to do more than lay in bed and sulk in my own pity. 

My boyfriend of an actor in one of Netflix's top shows can't visit me for Valentine's Day because he's busy filming. Woe is me.

"Mallory?" I heard Gabe's voice and I looked up to see him sitting at the desk in the back room, the same way I found him yesterday. "Have you been crying? What's wrong?"

I had been so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even realize I walked into the record store for my shift. I completely blacked out from the time I left my apartment until now, I had no idea how I made it here safely.

"What?" I sniffled as I wiped my nose with my sleeve. "No, no, it's just uh, allergies."

"Mallory," Gabe narrowed his eyes at me, looking at me the same way Drew would when he knew I was lying.

"I'm fine." I insisted, but the stuffiness in my nose and my red, puffy eyes said otherwise.

"Okay," Gabe threw his hands up as he shrugged his shoulders, telling me he accepted that answer and was going to drop this. "But in my years of the dating world, the one thing I learned is that when a girl says she's fine, she's not actually fine."