chapter twelve.

MALLORY'S POV

It had been a week since Drew left, and though our time together was short lived, it gave us more of a reason to look forward to seeing each other again.

I only had to make it through a few more days of work before I was on a plane Friday morning to go to Barbados. It still felt unreal to me that I booked a flight there for the weekend to see Drew and our friends. I was so excited to see everyone. 

I wasn't sure if they were going to be filming this weekend, but I didn't care. As long as I got to be with Drew and our friends, I was happy. Even if that meant sitting on set, watching them do what they did best. 

"Mallory!" I heard a familiar voice knock me out of my thoughts and I stood up straight from leaning on the counter, my eyes blinking rapidly as I tried to focus on my friend in front of me.

"What?" I responded.

"Jesus, I've called your name like three times." Gabe chuckled as he put an album on the shelf in front of him. "I asked you if you've checked out these new releases."

"No," I shook my head as I walked around the counter to where Gabe was and I picked up a stack of vinyls we just got in this morning. I hadn't gotten the chance to look through them yet. "Didn't some of these albums literally come out like a few weeks ago?" I asked as I filed through the stack in my arm. After I was done observing each record, I would hand it to Gabe and he would organize it on the shelf.

"Yeah." He nodded. "Crazy how much of a comeback vinyls are making."

"We got in The Weeknd's new album already?" I said eagerly, studying the cover of the album as well as the songs on the back. "You're coming home with me." I lightly laughed, putting the album to the side since I planned on buying it.

"That's what I mean," Gabe chuckled as he watched me get excited over a new record. "I remember when new albums would be released, you wouldn't see the vinyl of it for like months. Dawn FM was released a month ago and we already have it in stock."

"It's crazy. Definitely not complaining though." I shook my head as I continued to help Gabe sort through the new releases and place them on the shelf.

As I was handing Gabe another album, I felt my phone buzz in my back pocket as if I were getting a phone call. Assuming it was Drew, I continued to let it ring since I was working. Though I never wanted to pass up an opportunity to talk to him, it was unprofessional of me to stop what I was doing just to answer a phone call from my boyfriend.

But as my phone continued to ring, I couldn't help but think if something were to be wrong. Drew usually texted me first asking if he could call me while I was at work, so for him to just randomly call like this suddenly worried me. 

I took my phone out of my pocket while it was still ringing, and my eyes widened at the contact name on my screen. It wasn't Drew, and it certainly wasn't someone I was expecting.

"Gabe, I have to take this." I told him as I placed the couple albums in my arms back into the box on the ground. "I'll be right back."

"Who is it? Drew?" I heard Gabe chuckle as I quickly ran into the back room to take this call.

On the last ring, I managed to answer the call. "Hello?" I answered, trying to control my excitement through the phone.

"Hey Mallory, it's Jonas Pate. How are you?"

"Hey Jonas," I grinned at hearing his voice. "I'm good, how are you?" I asked him.

"I'm doing well, can't complain." Jonas responded. "I just wanted to give you a call real quick. I'm not sure if Drew told you, but we have a few more weeks of filming left in Barbados. We're going to take a break for about a month before production starts back up again in Charleston, ideally at the end of April. I'm telling you this," Jonas paused and I raised my eyebrow, curious as to finding out the purpose for this phone call. "Because I'll have an opening for you if you'd like to come back and work with us."