chapter twenty.

MALLORY'S POV

Over the course of the last six months, Drew and I have hit some rocky points in our relationship. I didn't expect our relationship to be easy once we started dating because of who he was. I knew what I was getting myself into, but I was determined to make it work because I loved him as a person and as a boyfriend. Whatever struggles we went through, we overcame them and were back on track in no time.

But this. This was so different. I had a feeling we would never overcome this.

I felt so angry, hurt, and sad. I had never felt this kind of pain in a relationship before, especially from someone I love. I felt betrayed that Drew would trust some sneaky bitch before he would trust me. His words hurt me so badly, I didn't know if I could ever forgive him for what he said.

I could understand his confusion, because I was just as confused myself. But the only explanation for how Natalie would know about that night would be Mads. They seemed like best friends now, it wouldn't surprise me if she said something.

And for Drew to not be able to see that I was telling the truth hurt me more than anything. I was so angry at him for that, but there was nothing I could do to prove to him that what Natalie said was a lie. I couldn't prove to him that I was telling the truth, so if he wanted to believe her, he could. But he was going to regret it when he found out the truth. 

Trust was so important in a relationship, and if we didn't have that, we had nothing. Drew was cheated on in his last relationship a few years ago, and I know how hard he took that. I tried to prove to him that I would never lie to him or hurt him like that, but it seemed as though it wasn't enough.

Because of that, I felt like it was best for us to take a break. I've had time to think since I hung up on him last night, and it seemed like the only option for us at this point. I couldn't forgive him for what he said to me, and he clearly didn't trust me, so what good was our relationship now?

It's the last thing I would ever want with Drew. I loved him so much, and if our relationship were to advance any further, then this decision would be what was best for the both of us. I hate that it had to happen this way, and I can't believe I was giving Natalie exactly what she wanted, but I had no other choice. I didn't know what else to do.

"Wow," Gabe sighed once I finished my entire weekend recap to him. I knew that when I came into work today, I could talk to him about all of this. I needed to get it off of my chest. "I really dodged a bullet with that one, huh?" He lightly chuckled as he referred to Natalie.

"You dodged a whole bomb." I rolled my eyes. "Can you believe that, though? It's just so unbelievable. I never expected something like this to happen to us. Drew and I were in such a good place and now," I sighed. "Now I don't even know where we stand."

"I really can't believe Natalie went through that much trouble to try and split you and Drew up. Like, are you guys in high school?" He asked rhetorically. "That's some serious bullshit."

"Tell me about it." I agreed. Even when I was in high school, I don't think I was involved in as much drama as I was in this weekend. "I just wish I wasn't such a wimp. Like when I'm not around Natalie, I have so much to say. I literally want to fight her. But when we were alone and she was talking to me, it was like I was so stunned that she's spewing out more bullshit and lies that I couldn't even find my words." I told him.

"You're not a wimp, Mal." Gabe shook his head. "You get so caught up in the moment, you can't even process what to think. You're just completely and utterly stunned that someone would have the audacity to do that to you. But you know what you can't do, right?" He raised his eyebrows at me and I furrowed mine at him, wondering what he was getting at. "You can't give her what she wants. If she finds out that you and Drew aren't together now, she's going to have all the more reason to go after him."