chapter twenty nine.

MALLORY'S POV

I woke up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee. My eyes slowly fluttered open as they adjusted to the brightness in my room from the sun shining through the blinds of my window.

The space next to me was empty, which told me Drew was already awake. I reached for my phone to check the time and saw it was a little after nine in the morning. My notifications were filling up with birthday texts from extended relatives, family members, and friends, so I quickly responded to the messages before I decided to get out of bed.

I exited my bedroom and followed the scent of coffee down the hallway and my eyes instantly landed on Drew, whose shirtless back was facing me as he was doing something at the kitchen counter. I looked around the kitchen and noticed a pink and purple mylar balloon which announced "Happy Birthday" along with a bouquet of sunflowers next to a yellow gift bag.

Smiling to myself, I walked up to Drew and wrapped my arms around his torso, hugging his bare  back. He immediately let out a small laugh at my touch and placed his hand on top of mine.

"You're awake." He noted before he removed my arms from him and turned around to me. I didn't hesitate to wrap my arms around him again now that he was facing me and he looked down at me as I looked up at him. "Happy birthday, Mal."

"Thank you, baby." I hugged him.

"I was going to bring you this coffee while you were still in bed," He said as he pointed to the mug on the counter, which told me he was in the middle of preparing my cup. "But I guess I lured you out here."

"Yes you did." I nodded and he handed the mug to me.

"What do you want to do today?" He asked me as I took a sip of the coffee and I winced at the temperature of it.

"I don't know." I shrugged as I set the mug down on the counter.

"I knew you would say that," He laughed as he tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "Which is why I've planned the day out for us."

"Oh yeah?" I smirked. Though I didn't want to make a big deal of my birthday, I felt so happy to know Drew cared about me so much that he planned the day out.

"Mhm," He nodded and he broke himself free of my arms as he went over to the island and grabbed the gift bag before handing it to me. "I want you to start by opening this."

"You didn't have to get me anything." I scolded him. I always felt so bad whenever he bought me things, and he knew that. But he also knew that I was so appreciative for anything he gave me. There could be a rock in this gift bag and I would still cherish it forever, just because he gave it to me.

I took the envelope with the card out of the bag and opened it first. The card felt thicker than it should've been, and I was hoping there wasn't anything valuable in it.

Breaking the card free of the envelope, I read the front of it before I opened it, and two tickets to some sort of event poured out of it. I examined them and my jaw instantly dropped when I realized they were tickets to a John Mayer concert for tonight.

"Drew," I gasped, unable to hide the smile on my face. "Are you serious?"

He smiled as he nodded.