chapter seventeen.

MALLORY'S POV

Drew and I got back to his apartment around four o'clock that afternoon, which meant we only had three hours until we were going to the beach for a bonfire with all of our friends, and Natalie. This felt like the only time I would have to open up to him about what happened at the bar last night. 

After the amazing day I had with Drew, Mads, and Chase, I was certain Drew could never hurt me the way Natalie made it seem. But what she said offended me and it made me extremely uncomfortable, and I needed Drew to know that.

I showered while Drew began to cook dinner, and about fifteen minutes later, I entered the kitchen wearing one of his t-shirts, a pair of shorts, and my hair was wrapped up in a towel. I noticed Drew put a tray of seasoned chicken in the preheated oven while he cleaned up his mess.

I went over to the cabinet and took out two wine glasses before I reached around my boyfriend to grab the bottle of wine on the counter. I removed the cork and poured the alcoholic liquid into each glass, Drew watching my every move as he leaned against the counter in front of me. I closed the bottle and handed Drew a glass before I took a sip of mine.

"Mal," Drew spoke softly as he looked down at the wine, swirling it around in the glass. "What's going on?"

I sighed, leaning against the counter as I tried to find the best way to explain this to him. I didn't want him to think I was crazy, insecure, or jealous. I just needed to be honest with him.

"Promise me you won't think I'm crazy?" I asked him softly, nervous of what he would think of what I was about to tell him.

"Promise." He nodded as he stuck out his pinky and I hooked mine with his, hoping he would keep that promise.

"I don't like Natalie." I started, which caused Drew to lightly chuckle.

"I figured." He noted. 

"I didn't like her from the moment she took your phone and answered my FaceTime call over a month ago." I continued. "I know I just met her, but I see the way she talks to you, the way she touches you, the way she flirts with you right in front of me. She likes you, Drew. And after what she said to me last night, I'm convinced she's trying to get me angry with you so we breakup and she can have you." 

"What did she say to you?" He asked me and I saw the expression on his face soften and I could tell he was taking this seriously.

I took a fairly large sip of wine, mentally preparing myself to replay last night once again as I explained what happened to him, word for word. It was like that conversation was a broken record in my head. It played over and over again no matter what I tried to do to get it to stop.

And it continued to play over again as I told him everything. From the moment she walked into the bar, up until the last sentence she said to me in the bathroom. 

As I talked about the encounter I had with Natalie, I found myself crying in the process. I was scared Drew would think I was over reacting. I was scared because I didn't want what she told me to be true. I thought I was ready to talk to him about this, but my anxiety showed otherwise.

All my doubts soon disappeared though, because when I finished telling him that was why I wanted to go home so badly last night, he set his glass of wine on the counter and engulfed me into a secure hug. His arms were wrapped around my shoulders, creating a warm shield around me as if he were protecting me from the outside world. He began to lightly rub my back in comfort and I wrapped my arms around his torso, stuffing my face into his chest.

"Oh my God," Drew whispered as he held onto me and kissed my forehead. "Shit, Mal, I had no idea. I'm so sorry."

I lifted my head from his chest and looked up at him, my arms still wrapped around him. He took his hand and gently brushed his thumb across each of my cheeks as he wiped away my tears. I didn't deserve him.