chapter one.

AN; this is an AU. sae and rin are NOT brothers here. just friends :)

"are you dumb?" you yell at rin, who has thrown your sports bag onto the school roof in front of you.

"no, but 500 yen richer" he chimes in with yoichi, who gives him the money in a handshake. laughing, the two take off and leave you standing there.

"y/n, you're late! run three extra laps. go!" your gym teacher admonishes you after it took a while to get the bag off the roof.

sighing, you run around the field and your angry expression is directed at rin, who is standing on the field with the other students, laughing at you.

will he still be laughing when you ram your bat into his balls?

fortunately, you are assigned to rin's opposing team, but unfortunately aswell to sae's team. "well, did you get the bag off the roof again?" he laughs softly in your direction. "next time i'll suggest something even better to meguru."

so he was behind this?

the whistle blows, he turns directly to the game. squinting your eyes, you can't hide your anger.

you run right next to sae, swinging your bat so that he stumbles over it and falls to the ground. triumphantly, you want to run past him, but he has already pulled you to the ground with him.

like little children you roll across the playing field - you skillfully ignore the teacher's whistle. "you're so annoying" he hisses.

you already lunge with your knee, kick him off you, so that you are now sitting on him and see his grinning face below you.

the teacher approaches you, stunned. "i have no words for teens like you. embarrassing existences. go get changed and then do yard duty as punishment" he notes something in his notebook.

you remain standing stubbornly, while sae disappears directly, shrugging his shoulders.

̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙  *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙

"have you thought about our deal?" sae breaks the awkward silence after half an hour of yard work.

"our deal? you must mean your idiotic plan to use me as a fake girlfriend to get 5000 yen from rin and your other friends" you roll your eyes, continue sweeping with the broom.

"not 5000 yen, stupid" he shakes his head, lighting a cigarette on the side. is he stupid? if a teacher sees that, he can clean the windows.

but then at least he can spend time with rin, who almost always has to do punitive work because he gets caught every day either smoking in the school bathroom or picking up his pizza from the delivery guy in the hallway during class time.

"you should have seen yoichi when rin made a bet with me. he's so bored that he bet 7 million yen. that guy is rich in a different way" he says, fascinated.

"yoichi? isagi yoichi?" you're starting to pay attention after all. "i didn't know a guy like him was still hanging out with you guys."

"what does someone like him mean?" sae takes offense.

"well, he's handsome, not a player, and actually really cool. you guys are more.. oh never mind" you have to suppress a laugh.

"shut up, y/n. you would get 3 million yen after three months. my god, how can you drop an offer like that?"

you could super use that 3 million to save for your college tuition, you think to yourself.

"deal" you cringe, his head snapping up in surprise. "but i have conditions"

he nods and sits down next to you on the bench.

"first, don't look so ugly. second, we won't drag this whole thing out in the open, just telling your friends is enough. they know how you and i actually feel about each other. so why would you lie?"

"you don't know my friends, we'll have to keep it real. but there's bound to be some physical contact!" he warns.

"deal. but i have one more question, sae, why did you ask me? so many girls want to be with you, but you drop them after one date."

taking a deep breath, he stands up while reaching for his bag. "you're the last one they'd expect. that's what makes it real, because they'd never believe i'd spend my time with you willingly. so they'll think feelings changed my mind. if i choose a random girl, they won't take it seriously" he explains logically, standing up.

he's about to leave, but then he turns around one last time "besides, i only date hot girls and you don't look that ugly. don't get any ideas though, rin thinks you're pretty, so i want to make him a little jealous in the process" he leaves you completely confused.