chapter ten

"we should register there, the winners will get countless vouchers for the shopping center," sae points to the poster hanging in the school hallway in front of you.

frowning, you turn to him. "the prom is before the vacations, so we won't be together. three months are up already, when are we going to meet?" you've been with him for almost four months now, even though the deal was only for three months.

"the problem is," sae now sighs, "yoichi doesn't really believe me yet. he won't give his money unless he's sure. but i think he just wants to annoy me."

exhaling you lean against the wall, at that moment reo walks past you. inconspicuously your eyes meet, but he quickly looks away again.

"hey don't worry" sae props a hand on the wall next to your head, leaning close to you and grinning "you'll get your money. if we're elected prom king and queen by the others, he's sure"

yoichi wouldn't doubt the relationship anymore if he saw sae putting up posters of you as prom queen and king. he would never go through with something so ridiculous unenamored.

"hm, better that way. otherwise you'll be punished" you punch his upper arm with a grin.

"ah really?" he breathes, looking at you dreamily and grinning slightly. slowly he bends down to you, wanting to kiss you.

without a word, you agree and let him. until you notice how different this kiss is. you've never had a kiss like this before, it wasn't too much and not too little - it was with feeling.

now you clear your throat, look to the side. "i have to go to gym class" you want to fly.

could it be that sae likes you? no, that's illogical.

could it be that you like sae? no, that's even more illogical.

as you move away from him, he stops you. "we have sports together, remember?" he walks with you to the changing rooms.

standing there in the hallway are rin and reo, already changed. "since when is he in our class?" sae grumbles, watching you disappear into the girls' locker room.

"mikage doesn't like swimming, that's why he was allowed to join us" rin explains to sae - but he disinterestedly walks past the two and changes himself.

rin follows him into the changing room, having forgotten his water. "y/n is really going for it" he spots a hickey on sae's lower neck and pats it gleefully.

hissing, sae slaps his hand away. "believe me, she's indescribable" he remembers the swimming pool thing. for the first time, he likes hickeys because they're yours, especially delicate and subtle.

not huge and dark like those embarrassing village kids from eighth grade. neither sae nor you would ever want to wear something like that.

"yes yes, you love your y/n" rin already rolls his eyes annoyed and disappears from the changing room.

you're just lacing up your sneakers when akame speaks to you. "y/n, is sae actually your boyfriend?"

you haven't talked to her in a long time, although you always got along well. you used to be relatively good friends, but you seem to have drifted apart a bit.

"yeah, why?"

suddenly akame gives her friends a look, they quickly leave the changing room and leave you two alone.

what's it going to be? a fight? she's probably into sae, just like every girl. you immediately banish those jealous ringing thoughts from your mind.

"you know, i still care about you, even though we hardly have any contact. and as a feminist," she raises her hand proudly, "i should talk to you about it all the more."

still clueless, you look at her, also a bit impatient, "i don't have all day."

taking a deep breath, she speaks "there's a rumor going around that sae had sex with kaede in the broom closet yesterday"

not reacting properly, you first stare at her. then you laugh ironically.

"aren't you shocked?" she holds out a handkerchief.

"i have to process this first" you send her away, then leave the changing room after her.

if he's sleeping with others, you don't have to feel guilty about reo getting closer to you, either, you think to yourself.

"sex in the broom closet?" you pass sae outside in the field, arms crossed.

"now? always happy to" he licks his lips playfully but you start to get upset. the other students are standing in groups and talking in confusion, which is why they can't hear you.

"no, you and kaede. how cheap. i'm telling you, if reo makes a pass at me, i won't hold back from now on," you provoke him.

"kaede?," he doesn't understand what you mean, but doesn't elaborate. he thinks it was just a joke. "relax, i've already told everyone to vote for us for prom king and queen. it looks good so far," he steers the conversation in another direction, but you turn away from him and stand next to reo.

even akame notices this and stands inconspicuously next to sae, who observes how mikage smiles at you.

"quiet!" the teacher yells, using the whistle several times. "i am aiku, the replacement for your old sports and english teacher. your old teacher was beaten by a drunken bum the day before yesterday, too bad. now i get his salary."

"was he the drunk bum?" sae says quietly and akame laughs with him.

but he only wanted to hear you laugh.