chapter twenty.

"i swear, you weigh a ton," rin gasps with difficulty, balancing your weight on his hands. you continue to run the predator ladder in front of akame's balcony.

you just can't believe that sae is really serious about her, which is why you and rin spy on them.

you are just interested.

out of respect for you, sae hardly ever invites her over, which is why you're here spying on her. rin was bored, he loves that kind of dumb actions. "do you hear something?" he hisses up to you quietly, standing rather on one leg the whole time - his other ankle is still injured, after all.

"they're sitting on the bed and talking!" you say quietly, stretching a little. rin gives you one last push, so you can finally climb onto the balcony. "first have a smoke" he pulls out his cigarettes, out of breath.

inconspicuously you hide at the side of the balcony door, nudging it open a crack.

"you don't have to be jealous. he's just my tennis teacher," akame says, annoyed.

"what? i was never jealous" sae replies laughing out loud.

unconsciously you grin. you knew things weren't going well between the two of them.

"akame, i trust you, i know you only want me" his voice deepens, your grin grinds even faster than it came.

"come here, lion" she murmurs erotically. you could puke, this was a huge mistake. hastily you take a step to the side, knocking over a flowerpot. "fuck" you mutter too loudly.

"what was that?" sae jumps up, heading for the balcony. panicked, you have no other way out, just jump from the balcony onto rin for a softer landing.

filled with pain, he wants to scream and stab you in the eye with his cigarette. but you beat him to it, holding his mouth shut with all your might, while you lie together directly under the balcony.

sae looks suspiciously into the distance, at first glance there is no one to be seen. you can still hear his footsteps, but he has already gone back inside.

you can guess what will happen up there now. in a bad mood you just want to get out of here "y/n, he's your ex. let him go," rin advises you honestly. "and my dick is bigger than his, so-"

"that's not true at all," sae's voice suddenly replies behind you. squinting your eyes tightly shut, you don't even want to turn to him.

embarrassing.

he knew for a fact that someone must be down here, so he made an excuse and left akame's house. "mine's bigger!" rin is like a toddler, he's probably not at all uncomfortable with this awkward situation.

"it's not!" sae and you reply irritated at the same time. only after that he notices "wait, how do you know?" he pulls you back by the arm that you now have to look at him.

"take my dick out when i'm drunk" rin grins.

"are you done stalking now or do you want to make some more sound recordings?"

caught, you look to the side, your cheeks turning slightly hot. "we were playing frisbee in the neighborhood and accidentally hit the flowerpot," you talk your way out.

"oh yeah?," sae raises an eyebrow "then where's the frisbee?"

"it's still flying, everything comes back to you eventually," rin speaks almost ambiguously, casually looking off into the distance.

"come," you pull on one of rin's crutches. "let's go to seishiro now"

"to nagi? mikage will surely be there too" sae knows that seishiro is celebrating his birthday today. rin has been invited by mikage before.

seishiro and him still get along, but your best friend is doing everything he can to keep the last weeks with the exchange student from being weird and stressful.

in reality, he has lost all his respect for reo, just wants him to finally disappear forever.

"of course, he lives there. but the guest list is long. so enough people to distract from him" you mean casually.

"yeah then, let's go" sae leads the way.

"you're not invited" you mean stubbornly, rin making a phone call on the side.

"oh, y/n," sae grins, "someone has to keep you away from mikage. i'll do it with pleasure."

<3

the three of you arrive at the party drunk, having bought and drunk alcohol on the way. "we look like a threesome" you hug rin and sae slurring from the side.

rin laughs out loud, lets go of you and goes straight to find another girl. sae still holds you tight "forgot how fast you get drunk" he worries slightly.

"uhh, am i touching you too much?," you hug him "don't let your pretty girlfriend get jealous"

she's not as pretty as you, inside or out. he thinks to himself at that moment.

sae carefully stabilizes your posture and then lets go of you. "let's get some water for you first" he proceeds slowly.

after he has forced you to drink plenty of water, you come down a bit. quietly you sit on the couch, drinking your water.

meguru sits down with you "ever made out in a hot tub?" he makes an offer.

meanwhile sae comes back from a short phone call with akame, looking for you in the crowd. on the way he gets tapped on the shoulder "don't touch me, you bastard" he recognizes reo, who stands in front of him.

apologetically, reo takes a step back. "have you seen y/n? i really need to talk to her."

sae looks down for a moment, grinning a little ironically. when he looks up again, he looks mockingly into his opposite's face. "i will personally make sure that you will never be near her again" he hisses threateningly.

"oh yeah?," rep walks provocatively towards him, shoving him lightly. "at least i'm not with the girl i cheated on her with."

now sae has had enough, he pushes reo violently to the ground. the people around them film directly how the two fight.

but you don't see any of it, you're alone with rin in the garden. "thank you" you thank rin for sending meguru away from you.

"he drinks so much he'll have blackouts again tomorrow" he makes a casual hand gesture.

"that literally sounds like his personal problem" you chuckle.

"but let's face it," rin changes the subject, taking advantage of your drunkenness a bit. "who meant more to you, mikage or sae?" neither of you know yet that there's a brawl going on inside.

"sae of course. even though i hated him. he's the person i love now" you smile bitterly.

rin briefly bites his lower lip. "and what do you think is stronger?"

"huh?"

"hate or love?" he looks at you again. "which is stronger?"

you shake your head slightly. "i only love sae. but i have hated plenty, for example you."

a moment of silence grips you, rin looks down with a slight grin. secretly he wonders what would happen if he kissed you.

as a joke, he leans forward to you, coincidentally your drunken self has the same intention. directly you break out in loud laughter, drive apart.

you are slowly becoming best friends, no one would understand your humor.

meanwhile sae has ended the fight. now, however, he has other thoughts, thinks of you.

how ironic, right?