chapter twenty one.

"your date will be happy!" your mother cheers up sae, who is standing downstairs with her and yamato.

grinning, he fixes his suit. he actually hates proms, but akame really wants to go. your mother and yamato insist that he drives you there in his car, too.

sighing, you stand in front of the mirror, this is the dress you chose to impress sae.

seishiro and you will probably hang out there, however, you are sure that he will have a date like everyone else.

everyone else except you.

unmotivated, you leave your room, go downstairs and want to get the whole thing over with for the sake of your mother. she more or less talked you into going despite everything and enjoying the ball.

"don't take so many pictures" you hold your flat hand in front of your face as you walk down the big staircase. your mother is impressed, this is the life she always wanted for you.

a beautiful dress, a good school - hopefully a wonderful future.

sae looks at you with his mouth slightly open, his hands clasped in front of his body. nervously playing with his fingers, he would like to take you in his arms and kiss you.

uncomfortably, he looks to the side as your eyes meet and you take your hand away from your face.

"now stand together, memory photos!" your mother urges you side by side.

taller because of the high heels, you indifferently place your hand on his shoulder and force yourself to smile into the camera.

nervously sae's warm hand finds itself on your back. at his touch your heartbeat stops, his cheeks turn slightly pink.

"let's go now" you release yourself from this pose, heading for the door. yamato and your mother say goodbye.

arriving at the car, sae looks at his phone one last time. "i don't believe it," he laughs out loud "akame blocked me, what's going on now?"

shrugging your shoulders you get into the car, his relationship shouldn't interest you anymore, right? his business if he wants her and not you.

silently you drive towards school. "can you drop me off at mcdonalds before you go?" you mean it.

"what? why?" he grins over both ears, he already understood. "you can't escape the ball. if i have to go there, so do you."

a bit later you enter the crowded, decorated gym. you see seishiro dancing with a pretty girl. smiling, you leave him alone, sit down at a table by yourself and sigh.

"dance with me, bitch" rin pecks a crutch into your side. turning to the side, you look at him. "since when can you dance? you're talentless" you provoke him.

nevertheless you stand up, do your good friend a favor - you have nothing better to do anyway. you both dance around like idiots, while dancing he hits you with his crutch.

suddenly sae interrupts your, even very fun time. "i can't believe it!" he points seconds later at akame, who is dancing close with reo.

"what the hell" you murmur, then look back at sae.

"she broke up with me and then two minutes later, she's with him" he explains.

rin tries to suppress his laughter, but can't. "what's there to laugh about?" you squint your eyes slightly, the situation upsetting you.

"sorry but," he laughs off, barely able to stand up straight. "what kind of partners did you find to fuck you over like that? you should have just stayed together, honestly."

stubbornly you cross your arms in front of your chest, caught sae looks down. "the thing with akame has nothing to do with the fact that y/n and i-" he wants to justify himself, when the director at the microphone interrupts him.

"the prom king and queen are itoshi sae and y/l/n y/n!"

"now this too? i'm not in the mood anymore" you mumble. what's going on with you all? you've forgotten all about the registrations for the ball, it's been months already. as if someone has chosen you on purpose.

confident of victory, sae grabs your arm and stops you from leaving. pulling you with him to the stage, he enjoys the applause. satisfied, he accepts the coupons he won and lets himself be crowned.

reluctantly, you let him put the crown on your head - your lips pressed together, you hate all the attention. holding your hand, he notices how you tremble slightly. gently, he squeezes your hand, now you have to dance.

"this is a joke, isn't it?" you whisper to him, still grinning and shaking your head. at this moment, sae is happy again for the first time in a long time, he blanks out everything else.

together you dance in the crowd, finally the attention dissolves and everyone else continues dancing. "one last time we can pretend we were made for each other" you murmur, your arms around his neck as you dance.

"we don't need any acting for that, you know," he raises an eyebrow.

"is everything packed?" you change the subject, because tomorrow evening the four of you are flying off on vacation, as the winter vacations begin.

"more or less," he replies, pausing. "y/n," he deliberately pulls you a little closer by the waist. "i have a question for you."

nodding, you are all ears, even though you fear his question a bit.

"have you ever wondered what would happen if our parents weren't together?"

"i would be your girlfriend, sae. i would be with you, just like before."

what you don't know is that your parents will soon separate.

sadly he lets go of you, the slow song is over, now everyone is dancing in confusion again. "do you think your mother and my father are meant for each other?" he asks me now.

no, they're not. and you'll soon find out.

you pause for a moment, thinking about the situation with rin's father. you don't believe that she is meant for yamato, that she really loves him.

"it would be easier if they weren't" you think.

understandably he nods, takes a step back. "let's go home" he doesn't feel like it anymore, already seeing akame and reo making out in front of everyone again.

so now you're both single.

<3

at the airport, your bodies are scanned for weapons. the device beeps several times, you have to be examined again. yamato and your mother are already there, sae should wait for you. "this is my belly button piercing" you lift your shirt a little.

a short time later sae takes your two tickets out of his backpack, which he was supposed to order last week. "where are they?" you look around, because your mother and yamato are nowhere to be seen.

"probably already on the plane," he assumes, although you wanted to meet before the plane. nevertheless, you get on, sit down in the separate seats, there were no others.

you have to fasten your seatbelts, turn off your cell phones. at that moment, sae gets a call from his father "where are you? the plane to bali is leaving now. are you sitting in the back?" yamato speaks into the speaker, then has to turn off his phone.

sae opens his mouth in shock and looks out the window to see that another plane is already taking off next to the one you are on.

"fuck" is the last thing that escapes his lips before he simply switches off his phone. he has booked the wrong plane, accidentally flies with you to another vacation destination, without his father and your mother.

unknowingly you fall asleep a few seats further back. now knowing, sae grins in surprise - he is happy.

you are flying alone on vacation.