Chapter Four

Staring back at herself in the expansive three-way mirror in Shuri's room, hands smoothing over the dress her friend had talked her into putting on, Cleo's expression rested in a wrinkled pout. Was Shuri... actually insane? Was the brilliance all a cover for crazy? The dress itself was so ornate that she was afraid to touch it, let alone wear it to a party. The good doctor was prone to bouts of clumsiness. Okay, it was stunning, but that wasn't the point.

"Uh, Ri?" she called out, stepping back from the mirror awkwardly. "Um, I thought I was very clear when I said I didn't want to draw attention to myself. So, this... garment that looks like it was hand stitched by blind nuns might be sending the wrong message."

"If it was stitched by blind nuns then I paid too much for it." Shuri walked over to Cleo and smiled softly. "You're beautiful my girl. Your father would weep." She finished putting the last few bangles on her wrists before she walked around her closest friend. "I think you need a necklace to wear."

"Ooh, not the dad card..." Cleo whined, knowing that her friend knew there was no way she'd change now. She glanced down at her bare chest and rolled her eyes. "Why? To give M'Baku a very clear target for motorboating?" she challenged, hands moving to her hips with the sibling attitude they had honed over the years.

Shuri narrowed her eyes at Cleo then scoffed with a wave of her hand. "I think a mentally unstable man has eyes on you more than M'Baku." She turned and began looking through her jewelry box, hoping to find the right pendant.

"Wait, so the mentally unstable man isn't M'Baku?" Cleo asked, shaking her head. "What are you talking about?"

Shuri turned back towards Cleo with a simple diamond teardrop necklace in her hand. "I think James has a bit of a fondness for you."

Cleo nearly snorted at the other young woman's observation. "Are you serious?" she asked, eyebrows raised. "Why? I mean, I don't hold the other day against him. I think I just got... overwhelmed by all of his pain."

"He's relaxed around you, he opened up to you," Shuri told her. "What he told you, he hasn't told me, and I'm practically his therapist."

Is he really? It wasn't obvious to her, but then again, she'd only interacted with him twice. I could swim in those eyes though. "Well... you know, sometimes that happens around me." Cleo had that effect on the animals as well. She exhaled a breath, bubbling with her lips as she did. "Maybe... the rest of us can hope for him until he's able to do it himself."

"Just hear me out. I wouldn't be surprised if James makes a scene tonight if M'baku makes a move on you," Shuri said. "I just have a feeling... plus I talked to Steve."

"Oh God, no scenes, please," she whined again, smoothing her hand over her long, wavy hair that she'd decided to leave down. "Oh, I see... so James and I actually have something in common because both of our best friends are talking about us behind our backs."

"I just asked Steve how James was on their walk when they came back, that's all," Shuri said. "James is reluctant about the dinner too, so he might be on edge."

"Excellent, excellent. James is on edge, M'Baku is himself... there will be alcohol at this thing, right?" Cleo asked. "Because depending on how this goes, I may be sleeping in the palace tonight after you have to put me to bed."

Shuri sighed. "James just isn't used to being included in things. He's used to a cell block or a hideout apartment. Steve is here and will be a large help," she explained. "Give James a chance."

Cleo drew her eyes closed and encouraged herself to take a quiet breath to slow down the spiral that could be her mind sometimes. "You're absolutely right," she nodded in agreement after a few moments, and she opened her eyes to smile at her friend. "It really could be fun. Oh - did I mention that the last time he saw me, I was covered in rhino snot?"