Chapter Seven

Time had lapsed quickly as she helped James work with Eagle a bit, Cleo got a call and stepped out to take it. It was maybe only a few minutes before she stepped back inside but what she found was something that made her chest ache and...her uterus twitch just a little bit. It was obvious James had drifted off to sleep and she thought it would be weird to sit and watch him.

Steve didn't return to James' home until later in the evening. He'd been called into an extensive meeting and was just happy that they didn't make him travel to be there in person. He sighed as he opened the door and walked inside.

Hearing nothing, he walked into the next room to see James sitting on the couch with his pup in his lap, asleep, a blanket draped over his shoulders. Cleo must have put the blanket on him. I wonder how their talk went? He looked out the window to see Cleo in her garden, watering. After checking on James and the tiny puppy, Steve turned and walked back outside and towards Cleo.

She busied herself outside, the temperature was pleasant with just the right amount of a breeze. She was down on her knees pulling a rather disorderly weed and as she yanked it back, she caught a glimpse of a figure and it took a moment to register that it was Steve.

"Hi, welcome," she greeted, getting up to her feet, brushing her hands off of her pants without a second thought. "We didn't know where you went, I hope it didn't take you too long to find James."

Steve smiled and nodded. "It's alright. It was just a government meeting. Nothing's wrong, just some paperwork that I was avoiding. I cannot believe he's in there asleep with that puppy. He normally sleeps on the floor."

Cleo tilted her head as she looked up at him, brushing a bit of stray hair back from her face. "He does?" she asked. James hadn't mentioned that. But he had mentioned feeling more relaxed around her. "Dogs can be incredibly helpful for people who've had trauma. I'm really glad it seems to be working so far."

"The bed is too soft for him. He's used to a military cot. Hopefully it helps with the nightmares." Steve rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. "We both have them, but his are far worse than mine."

Cleo hadn't realized just how much she took her bed for granted. His body was still used to discomfort. "I can't imagine everything you've seen," she said sincerely. "I hope that one day the two of you can sleep comfortably."

Steve smiled. "I've gotten better over the years, but Buck, he's just starting on his journey. But I'm glad he has you around for company."

"I like being his company," she replied with a slightly shier smile. "Every once in a while, I feel like I see... him. Who he used to be. I hope he can find a way to integrate that."

"Buck was pretty amazing," Steve said softly. "He still is, don't get me wrong, but if you had met him in the forties you would flock to him like a bee to honey. Most girls did."

A faint blush rose into Cleo's cheeks. "He still does okay now," she replied knowingly, her smile a bit shy. "He's doing a lot of hard work. I'm hoping my presence is supportive and comforting, not anything that's potentially harmful." She didn't want to make any kind of moves that might hurt James in the end.

"You're not harmful," Steve assured. "I think you two are good for each other. I'm not sure it will come to it, but Bucky does get attached to people once he lets them in. If he does, he's forever loyal."

Cleo laughed lightly. "He sounds like a puppy. Exactly why I thought he'd be great with one," she said, pulling her gardening gloves off. "Are you able to stay a few more days or are they pulling you away?" she asked, knowing how much more comfortable James felt with him here.