Chapter Twenty-Four

AN: Heavy Smut warning

Another couple of weeks quickly passed and Cleo was doing better and better. The fall season was coming, which meant rain in Wakanda. The village was preparing for the rains as well as the palace, which meant James and Steve were being put to work.

Steve worked to stack sandbags alongside the river that crossed through the center of town to secure it against flooding. He carried multiple bags at a time and made pretty quick progress. As he turned to head back and continue his process, he spotted Bucky coming down from the palace and he waved, wiping his hands off on his pants.

"Hey Steve," James greeted. "How is progress coming? The next storm will be coming in tonight. There's a possibility of losing power at home."

"So far so good," he replied as he rested his hands on his hips. "What's the plan for the power? Do we have a generator, or do we need to make other plans?"

"I think there's a generator in the basement, but I haven't made it down there to work on it since we moved in," James replied. "If anything, we can get a portable one from Shuri or ride it out with candles like we used to."

"Well, we can see about a generator. We should check to see what the candle situation is. This place is so high tech, do they even need candles?" Steve pondered. "Cleo's securing the clinic, right?"

James nodded. "She's making sure the animals will be safe for the night. There aren't any in critical care, so it's not been as stressful for her. But our house might need the candles, I'm not sure. I can message Shuri."

"Yeah, just to make sure we're covered. I mean, you and I are used to candles and being without power, I just don't want Cleo to be miserable," Steve replied. Her comfort was very important to the two of them.

"If we have to have candles, I'm sure we can make it a romantic night for all of us," he suggested as he pulled out his phone to text Shuri.

James: Hey. If we lose power at the house, will we need candles? I haven't worked on the generator in the basement yet.

Shuri: I can give you a portable generator if you'd like one. What is this, the stone age?

Steve nodded as he mulled Bucky's point. It could be very romantic. "It might be kind of fun, actually. Show Cleo a good time like we used to have."

James nodded in agreement as he replied back to Shuri. "Yes, we could."

James: Hey, there is nothing wrong with candles. They can make the atmosphere quite nice.

Shuri: Okay, grandpa :) I'll send a generator up to your house, you all can decide whether or not you want it to burn it down with candles.

Steve unloaded another few bags, completing the section of the barrier he was working on. "We'll need to make sure we have enough food for potentially a few days. If the river washes out any of the roads we might be stuck."

"Yeah. I'll go into the city and shop for us. Make sure we have everything we could need. The markets around here will be struggling with the demand from everyone here."

Steve nodded and rested his hands on his hips again. "Okay. I'll finish down here and then make sure the clinic is good to go for Cleo. Try to make it home before the rain starts."

James nodded as he put his phone away. "I'll get a car if I have to. Be safe, okay?"

Steve nodded. "You too. We'll see you back at the house," he replied.

~~~~~

After another hour or so, the skies began to darken and the wind began to blow harder and harder. Just as the rain started, Cleo and Steve came quickly into the house to get themselves out of the weather.