Chapter Thirty-Three

James smiled as he watched Grant playing on his blanket in the living room. Four months had quickly passed for all of them and Grant had surpassed every milestone he was supposed to hit.

Steve returned home from a meeting at the palace with T'Challa, a particular spring in his step. He heard Grant's coos and smiled instantly, walking into the living room to find them there. "Hey," he greeted cheerfully. "Guess what Shuri had ready for us?" he asked before he pulled a ring box out of his pocket and tossed it to Bucky.

His eyes widening, James quickly caught the box in his hand. "She took her time huh?" He smiled as he opened it to look at the beautiful set of rings. "You're lucky Cleo is working half a day today."

Steve chuckled. "I knew she was gone, otherwise I would have hid them," he replied, lowering himself onto the floor next to Grant. "So now that we have them we just have to decide when to pop the question."

James let out a breath of air. "I guess whenever you want to."

"Me? There's two of us here pal," Steve remarked. "I've wanted to do it for months. I say we just do it... like, tonight."

"When, tonight?" James asked. Butterflies fluttered in his chest at the thought.

"Maybe... we can get Shuri to ask Cleo to go for a walk after dinner and we can head down to the lake. Then Shuri can lead her there," he suggested.

James smiled. This was actually going to happen. "That sounds like a good idea."

As Steve exhaled, he puffed out his cheeks. "Wow, okay, we're gonna do this...". A boyish laugh escaped him. "Hear that, Grant? You gotta keep our secret, okay? Don't tell your mom," he joked.

With a laugh, James looked down at Grant to see him blowing spit bubbles. "That's a new one."

"He's talented," Steve said, reaching out pat the baby gently on the back. As he sat, he pulled out his phone to text Shuri about the plan. He knew she'd be in. "I'm so excited," he said giddily, a boyish quality to him.

James chuckled. "I am too."

"What should we wear?" Steve asked giddily. "Suits? Is that too basic? Not that she would care..."

"I don't think clothes will matter," he replied. "We don't need a special set up or to look overly proper for her. I think just us is enough."

"You're right," Steve agreed. "I'm overthinking it. All she needs is us." He reached out again to pat Grant on the back before he leaned down to kiss the little boy's cheek.

James smiled as he watched Steve play with Grant, who was attempting to roll over onto his back. "He gets stronger every day. Grant can almost roll over on his own now, it'll be any day for him to figure out how."

"He'll be crawling in a blink," Steve said with a nod. He was blasting through his milestones. "He won't be where we put him one day and we'll all freak out."

"Pfft, don't remind me." James fondly watched as Steve laid beside Grant and shook a small rattle, catching the baby's attention.

Steve made bright faces at Grant as he laid beside him. "I see you in his face," he said to Bucky, glancing up. "But his nose is Cleo's."

James grinned. "I think he has her cheeks too," he said softly.

"He's perfect," Steve said surely, just as the three of them had been saying since he was born. The baby blew another spit bubble and Steve couldn't help but laugh.

"What time is Cleo due home?" He asked from his position on the floor.

"An hour, maybe two. She normally walks with Shuri before coming home."