Chapter Thirty-Nine

another chapter for you guys! A bit shorter this time... I swear these three are always so horny, lol

Back at home, Cleo fed a now awake Grant. "Such a good boy!" She cooed as she gave him a spoonful of mashed peas. "I'm glad you like these."

"We're home," Steve declared as they walked back into the house, Eagle following close behind.

Cleo grinned as she wiped at Grant's mouth. "In the kitchen!"

The men walked into the kitchen and a bright smile covered Steve's face. "Hey kiddo, you're a mess," he laughed softly, walking over to Grant to place a kiss on the top of his head.

"I might put one of you on bath duty once he finishes his dinner. Ours is in the oven," she answered.

"I'll do it," Steve offered, taking a seat at the table. "Gives me something else to do to keep my mind busy."

Cleo smiled as she gave Grant another bite of peas before offering him his cup to take a drink. "We'll have to keep you busy for a while... huh?"

Steve sighed knowingly. "For a little while... but I'll work on it, I promise," he told her sweetly.

"I might try to think of some things we could use around the house," Cleo suggested. "Maybe working with your hands will help."

"It's worth a try," he replied. "Tony wants to come visit too, so that could give me something to do."

Cleo smiled as she gave Grant his last bite of food. "He's always welcome. We have plenty of space."

"I'll text him back after I give this guy a bath," Steve said as he rose from his seat.

James watched as Steve took Grant in his arms then walked upstairs. "Did you get to read more of your book?" He asked, knowing Cleo had been trying to while Grant was occupied.

"A little, but Grant was hungry so that became more pressing," she replied, sighing softly. "I'll get to it, maybe at bedtime tonight."

He reached out and gently rubbed her back. "It's alright baby. I know a lot has been going on it seems. But we'll be back in our routine again before too long."

"We could all use a little routine l, I think," she replied, leaning into his touch. "But Steve needs to be kept busy. So we'll keep him busy."

"That we will," James agreed.

"I think it might be good for Tony to come visit," she mused as she got up to wipe up from Grant's dinner. "Steve needs more people in his life."

"I'm sure he misses his friends," James commented. "He used to be a part of a big team."

"We should have Sam out more often too," she said. "Maybe a few times a year we can get as many of them together as possible..."

James nodded as he thought it over. "Maybe. That's not a bad idea."

"How would you feel about it?" she asked him. "You're not the biggest fan of people all the time, and I wouldn't want to make you uncomfortable."

"I don't know, honestly. It's just been us for a good while now," he answered.

She nodded in understanding as the oven timer went off before walking over to it. "Tony being here will be a start. You can see how you feel."

"Yeah. That I can do," James agreed. "Tony can be a handful on his own."

"So I've heard," Cleo replied, laughing softly. "But he can make some nice upgrades to the house. Things to make us safer when you boys aren't here."