Chapter Thirty-Four

Steve's thoughts were scattered but pleasant as he took his morning run through the countryside of Wakanda. Grant was doing so well; he was crawling early and, on the move already. He was keeping them all on their toes, but he was grateful that they were all getting more sleep, especially Cleo.

He rounded a corner and was about to take off on another stretch when he felt his phone ring in his pocket. He slowed his pace, taking a few breaths before he pulled it out. Sam. He raised the phone to his ear.

"Hey Sam," he greeted, and the tone of his friend's voice immediately made his brows furrow. "What's up?"

"Hey Cap," Sam greeted. "I uh... do you have time for a visit? I have something I want to talk to you about. In person."

"Wow, in person... no one's dead, right?" Steve asked. "You want me to come there, or do you want to come here?"

Sam chuckled. "No one is dead. But it's something that would be better said in person. I know you. I can come there."

"You can meet Grant," Steve said with a small smile, resting his hand on his hip. "I'll see you when you get here. Just give me an ETA when you have one."

"Sure," Sam replied. "Plus, I have something for the little guy, so that will work."

"Alright. I'll see you soon," Steve replied before hanging up. He exhaled heavily, narrowing his eyes on the distance for a moment as he slipped his phone back into his pocket. "In person... hmm," he pondered before he took off running again back home.

As he walked back in the house, he used the bottom of his shirt to wipe the sweat off of his face. He smiled then as his eyes settled on Bucky and Grant. "He's gonna outrun us before too long," he remarked, watching the boy crawl.

James looked up, his eyes darting to the visible abs of Steve Rogers. Then looked down as Grant crawled to him. "He's already trying to pull up on things."

"Hey buddy," Steve greeted the young boy as he made his way to him, lowering himself onto his knees. "He'll be walking before he's a year old; I know it." Once Grant got to him, the blonde man picked him up to give him a hug.

"Sam's on his way here," he shared as he rose from his knees. "Says he has something he needs to talk to me about... in person."

James furrowed his brow as he stood from the floor. "I don't know if I like the sound of that."

"I don't either," Steve admitted with a heavy sigh. "But no one's dead, so... see the plus side, maybe?"

"If Sam is coming here, it's something," James mused.

"I know," Steve replied, shaking his head. "But at least I didn't have to leave. You know I don't like having to do that."

James chuckled as he wrapped one arm around Steve. "I know you don't."

Steve had been lucky lately; he hadn't been called on by the US government for any missions for them and the meetings had been less frequent. It was a nice reprieve. "I just want to be here with you guys," he smiled, turning to place a kiss on Bucky's cheek.

"We want you here too," James murmured before quickly grasping Steve's strong chin to turn his head and place a kiss to his lips. "All of us do."

Steve's smile grew with the kiss and glanced across into Bucky's eyes. "It's good to be wanted," he replied. Grant wiggled in his arms and chuckled softly. "I should probably get in a quick shower. Sam's leaving soon, I'm sure."

"It's about time for Grant's nap... if you want, you could help me put him down and... I could join you?" he asked. James was feeling bold today. "Our girl won't be home until this afternoon. She had a few surgeries to perform today."