Chapter Thirty-Six

"Well, the room is certainly big enough. I'll have to thank Sam for that," Cleo said as she watched Grant play on the floor of the suite they had in New York. Steve was meeting with the powers that be later today, and she could feel the anxiety in the room.

"Steve, honey... Do you need anything?"

Steve sat on the couch as he stared down at Grant, watching him play. "I'm not sure there's much to give me, babydoll."

She frowned softly and glanced at James, who stood on the other side of the room. Her heart ached for what betrayal Steve must feel from his country. They made him and now they just wanted him to go away?

"I'm glad you're going to the meeting with him," she told the dark-haired man.

James smiled and he walked over and put one hand on Steve's shoulder. "Of course. I wouldn't be anywhere else."

Steve reached up and patted Bucky's hand with his own before releasing a sigh and pushing himself up to stand. "Thank you, Buck. We should probably get going," he said reluctantly. He moved to the floor then to find Grant and place a kiss on his forehead. "I love you, buddy."

"We'll be back soon as we can," James assured them both. "You be good to your momma, son."

"We love you both. Good luck," Cleo replied, kissing Steve before he stood from saying goodbye to Grant. "We'll be right here waiting for you."

Steve smiled sadly and nodded, kissing her once more before pulling himself away. He cleared his throat and nodded for the door. "I'm sure we'll be under surveillance as soon as we walk out that door."

James reached to run one hand through Steve's hair. Then he leaned over and kissed him soundly. "I'll be right there."

Steve returned the kiss before he took a few focused breaths and nodded. "I love you," he said surely before he turned to open the door and step outside.

Kissing Cleo quickly, James turned and followed Steve out into the hall. Sam was waiting for them.

"You guys ready for this?" Sam asked, hands in his pockets. He began to walk as the two men reached him.

"As we can be," Steve replied begrudgingly, falling into step with Sam.

"Car's downstairs. Short ride to HQ. I see Barnes already has his angry face on," Sam remarked with a small smirk, glancing back at Bucky.

James rolled his eyes. "I don't like this just as much as Steve," he replied. "He's just... better and holding it in."

Steve sighed. "We'll see how I feel when we get in there," he replied. Once they reached the lobby, the three walked outside and climbed into the car.

"What's this guy's demeanor like, Sam?" He asked as the car began to drive. "What should I be expecting?"

"Stand-up guy normally, but he's also... pushy, arrogant, and thinks of himself as Cap already," Sam answered.

"We'll see how he is in the face of the real Cap," Steve replied, turning to look out the window as the car drove through the bustling city.

As promised, the ride was a short one and the car pulled up in front of a fancy government building. "I don't miss this place," Steve remarked as he got out of the car.

James got out of the car and looked up at the overly large building. "I've never been here."

"Big and fancy for no reason," Steve said, shaking his head as they approached. He allowed Sam to lead the way as they made it to the building and stepped inside. They were immediately met by security.